Andrea J. Apter, M.D., MSc.
Chief, Allergy and Immunology Section
Presbyterian Medical Center
Pulmonary, Allergy & Critical Care Division
Mutch Building, 5th Floor
51 N. 39th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
tel.: (215) 662-2775
fax: (215) 615-5055
Education: M.D., University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Masters of Science in Clinical Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA
Residency: McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
Fellowship: McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
Dr. Apter joined the Section of Allergy and Immunology in 1998. Dr. Apter is chief of the Allergy and Immunology Section at Presbyterian Medical Center. She evaluates patients at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Presbyterian Medical Center for all allergy-immunology related problems including asthma, allergic rhinitis, sinusitis, adverse drug reactions, immunodeficiencies, urticaria, and anaphylaxis. Her research focuses on asthma the social and social factors that influence disease and on reducing health disparities. Another area of research is drug allergies.
- Apter AJ. Can Patient Portals Reduce Health Disparities? A Perspective from Asthma. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014 Mar 18. [Epub ahead of print]
- Margolis DJ, Gupta J, Apter AJ, Hoffstad O, Papadopoulos M, Rebbeck TR, Wubbenhorst B, Mitra N. Exome Sequencing of Filaggrin and Related genes in African-American Children with Atopic Dermatitis. J Invest Dermatol. 2014 Mar 7. [Epub ahead of print]
- Naimi I, Apter AJ, Ginsburg K, Naimi DR. Evaluating the adolescent with asthma: Are we doing enough? J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2014 Mar-Apr;2(2):230-2.
- Lawson CC, Carroll K, Gonzalez R, Priolo C, Apter AJ, Rhodes KV. "No Other Choice": Reasons for Emergency Department Utilization Among Urban Adults With Acute Asthma. Acad Emerg Med. 2014 Jan;21(1):1-8.
- Margolis DJ, Kim B, Apter AJ, Gupta J, Hoffstad O, Papadopoulos M, Mitra N. Thymic Stromal Lymphopoietin Variation, Filaggrin Loss of Function, and the Persistence of Atopic Dermatitis. JAMA Dermatol. 2014 Jan 8.
- Apter AJ. Advances in adult asthma diagnosis and treatment in 2013. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2014 Jan;133(1):49-56. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2013.11.005.
- Margolis DJ, Gupta J, Apter AJ, Ganguly T, Hoffstad O, Papadopoulos M, Rebbeck TR, Mitra N. Filaggrin-2 variation is associated with more persistent atopic dermatitis in African American subjects. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013 Oct 31. S0091-6749(13)01439-5.
- Apter AJ, Wan F, Reisine S, Bogen DK, Rand C, Bender B, Bennett IM, Gonzalez R, Priolo C, Sonnad SS, Bryant-Stephens T, Ferguson M, Boyd RC, Ten Have T, Roy J. Feasibility, acceptability and preliminary effectiveness of patient advocates for improving asthma outcomes in adults. J Asthma. 2013 Oct; 50(8):850-60. Epub 2013 Jul 17.
- Garrett JP, Hoffstad O, Apter AJ, Margolis DJ. Racial comparison of filaggrin null mutations in asthmatic patients with atopic dermatitis in a US population. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013 Aug 28. S0091-6749(13)01064-6.
- Apter AJ, Wan F, Reisine S, Bender B, Rand C, Bogen DK, Bennett IM, Bryant-Stephens T, Roy J, Gonzalez R, Priolo C, Have TT, Morales KH. The association of health literacy with adherence and outcomes in moderate-severe asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2013 Apr 13.