Audreesh Banerjee M.D.
Instructor Department of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania Medical Center
Pulmonary, Allergy, & Critical Care Division
Translational Research Laboratories (TRL)
125 South 31st Street, TRL Suite 1200
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3413
tel.: (215) 746-3599
fax: (215) 746-1224
Education: M.D., Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC
Residency: Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO
Fellowship: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Dr. Banerjee has been a part of the Penn community since 2005, when he came to pursue fellowship training in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine. He is board certified in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary Medicine, and Critical Care Medicine. Dr. Banerjee's research interest is in steroid insensitive asthma. Patients with steroid insensitive asthma contribute disproportionately to asthma costs and morbidity, and currently there are no effective therapies for these patients. Dr. Banerjee is currently studying the role of the Vitamin D receptor in controlling airway inflammation, specifically the interactions between the vitamin D receptor, pro inflammatory transcription factors, and the glucocorticoid receptor.
- Black JL, Panettieri RA Jr, Banerjee A, Berger P. Airway smooth muscle in asthma: just a target for bronchodilation? Clin Chest Med. 2012 Sep;33(3):543-58. Epub 2012 Jul 11. PMID: 22929101
- Banerjee A, Panettieri R Jr. Vitamin D modulates airway smooth muscle function in COPD. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2012 Feb 24.
- Banerjee A, Koziol-White C, Panettieri R Jr. p38 MAPK inhibitors, IKK2 inhibitors, and TNFα inhibitors in COPD. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2012 Feb 24
- Banerjee A, Trivedi CM, Damera G, Jiang M, Jester W, Hoshi T, Epstein JA, Panettieri RA Jr. Trichostatin A abrogates airway constriction, but not inflammation, in murine and human asthma models. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2012 Feb; 46(2):132-8.
- Zhu M, Flynt L, Ghosh S, Mellema M, Banerjee A, Williams E, Panettieri Jr RA, Shore SA. Anti-inflammatory Effects of Thiazolidinediones in Human Airway Smooth Muscle Cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2010 Sep 24
- Bhandare R, Damera G, Banerjee A, Flammer J, Rogatsky I, Panettieri RA, Tliba O. Glucocorticoid Interacting Protein- 1 restores glucocorticoid responsiveness in steroid-resistant airway structural cells. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol. 2010; Jan;42(1):9-15
- Damera G, Fogle H, Lim P, Goncharova E, Zhao H, Banerjee A, Tliba O, Krymskaya V, Panettieri RA.Vitamin D inhibits human airway smooth muscle growth through growth factor-induced phosphorylation of retinoblastoma protein and checkpoint kinase 1. Br J Pharmacol. 2009; Nov;158(6):1429-41 (PMID19814732)
- Banerjee A, Damera G, Bhandare R, Gu S, Lopez-Boado Y, Panettieri RA, Tliba O. Vitamin D and glucocorticoids differentially modulate chemokine expression in airway smooth muscle cells. Br J Pharmacol, 2008; 155:84-92 (PMID18552877).
- Tliba O, Damera G, Banerjee A, Gu S, Baidouri H, Keslacy S, Amrani Y. Cytokines induce an early steroid resistance in airway smooth muscle cells: novel role of interferon regulatory factor-1. Am J Respir Cell Mol Biol 2008; 38(4):463-472 (PMID17947510).