Frank T. Leone, M.D., MS
Associate Professor of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania Medical Center
Pulmonary, Allergy & Critical Care Division
Presbyterian Medical Center - 1 PHI
51 N. 39th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
tel.: (215) 662-8766
fax: (215) 243-3265
Education: M.D., University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, PA
Masters of Science in Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Residency: Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
Fellowship: Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
Dr. Leone directs Penn's Comprehensive Smoking Treatment Program, a clinical program of the Penn Lung Center. The new program provides state-of-the-art and individualized treatment to smokers, including those with comorbidities. Dr. Leone's scholarship focuses on investigating treatment strategies for tobacco use disorder and the effects of smoke on airway biology. Dr. Leone is a member of several professional and scientific societies, including the Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, and has served as President of the Board of Directors of the American Lung Association of Pennsylvania. He has served the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as a legislative appointee to the Governor's Tobacco Use Prevention and Cessation Advisory Committee since 2001.
- Leone FT, Evers-Casey S, Toll BA, Vachani A. Treatment of tobacco use in lung cancer: Diagnosis and management of lung cancer, 3rd ed: American College of Chest Physicians evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Chest. 2013 May; 143(5 Suppl):e61S-77S.
- Schnoll RA, Wileyto EP, Leone FT, Langer C, Lackman R, Evans T. Is a cancer diagnosis a teachable moment for the patient's relative who smokes? Cancer Causes Control. 2013 Apr 19. [Epub ahead of print]
- Schnoll RA, Leone FT, Hitsman B. Symptoms of depression and smoking behaviors following treatment with transdermal nicotine patch. J Addict Dis. 2013 Jan;32(1):46-52.
- Leone FT, Evers-Casey S. Developing a Rational Approach to Tobacco Use Treatment in Pulmonary Practice: A Review of the Biological Basis of Nicotine Addiction. Clin Pulm Med. 2012 Mar 1;19(2):53-61.
- Ashare RL, Tang KZ, Mesaros AC, Blair IA, Leone F, Strasser AA. Effects of 21 days of varenicline versus placebo on smoking behaviors and urges among non-treatment seeking smokers. J Psychopharmacol. 2012 Oct;26(10):1383-90. Epub 2012 Jun 13.
- Schnoll RA, Wileyto EP, Leone FT, Tyndale RF, Benowitz NL. High Dose Transdermal Nicotine for Fast Metabolizers of Nicotine: A Proof of Concept Placebo-Controlled Trial. Nicotine Tob Res. 2012 May 15.
- Schnoll RA, Leone FT. Biomarkers to optimize the treatment of nicotine dependence. Biomark Med. 2011 Dec;5(6):745-61. Review.
- Leone FT, Evers-Casey S. Behavioral interventions in tobacco dependence. Prim Care. 2009 Sep;36(3):489-507.
- Mastronarde J, Antonisen N, Castro M, Holbrook J, Leone FT, Teague G, and Wise R for the American Lung Association Asthma Clinical Research Centers. Efficacy of Esomeprazole for Treatment of Poorly Controlled Asthma; a Randomized Controlled Trial. New England Journal of Medicine 2009; 360: 1487-1499
- Leone FT, Evers-Casey S, Veloski J, Patkar A, Kanzleiter L for the Pennsylvania Continuum of Tobacco Education workgroup. Short, intermediate, and long-term outcomes of Pennsylvania's Continuum of Tobacco Education Project pilot Nic Tob Res 2009; 11: 387-393.