Michael Sims, M.D., M.S.C.E.
Instructor of Medicine
Medical Director, Airways Biology Initiative
University of Pennsylvania Medical Center
Pulmonary, Allergy, & Critical Care Division
4th floor Andrew Mutch Building
Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
51 North 39th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
tel.: (215) 662-8742
fax: (215) 243-4682
Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
M.S.C.E., University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Residency: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Fellowship: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Dr. Sims serves as the Medical Director for the Airways Biology Initiative, a comprehensive basic and clinical research enterprise devoted to understanding and curing diseases of the airways such as asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). He has received formal training in clinical research methods, having completed his Master's degree in Clinical Epidemiology at the University of Pennsylvania. His individual research interest focuses on the role of surfactant protein D in modulating airway inflammation in COPD, and he is the principal investigator of an NIH award investigating that topic. In addition, Dr. Sims serves as a principal investigator or co-investigator on several other studies evaluating biomarkers and/or novel therapies in COPD and asthma. Dr. Sims's corresponding clinical interest is in the management of severe COPD and he has expertise in the evaluation of candidates for lung volume reduction surgery and experimental treatments such as intrabronchial valve placement for treatment of advanced emphysema.
- Sims MW, Panettieri RA Jr. Profile of aclidinium bromide in the treatment of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2011; 6:457-66.
- 2. Sims MW: Aerosol therapy for obstructive lung diseases: device selection and practice management issues. Chest. 2011 Sep;140(3):781-8. Review.
- Sims MW, Beers MF, Ahya VN, Kawut SM, Sims KD, Lederer DJ, Palmer SM, Wille K, Lama VN, Shah PD, Orens JB, Bhorade S, Crespo M, Weinacker A, Demissie E, Bellamy S, Christie JD, and Ware LB for the Lung Transplant Outcomes Group: Effect of Single versus Bilateral Lung Transplantation on Plasma Surfactant Protein D Levels in Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis. Chest. 2011 Aug;140(2):489-96.
- Sims MW. Acute respiratory failure due to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. The Intensive Care Unit Manual, 2nd ed. Lanken PN, Hanson CW, Manaker S (eds.). Elsevier, in press.
- Sims MW, Musani AI, Sareli C, Russell W, McLaren WJ, Delaney PM, Litzky LA, Panettieri RA: A Pilot Study of the Feasibility of Confocal Endomicroscopy for Examination of the Human Airway. J Bronchol Intervent Pulmonol 17(2): 126-30, April 2010. Note: Sims & Musani are co-first authors.
- Amrani Y, Syed F, Huang C, Li K, Liu V, Jain D, Keslacy S, Sims MW, Baidouri H, Cooper PR, Zhao H, Siddiqui S, Brightling CE, Griswold D, Li L, Panettieri RA: Expression and activation of the oxytocin receptor in airway smooth muscle cells: Regulation by TNF-alpha and IL-13. Respiratory Research 11: 104, 2010.
- Sims MW, Margolis DJ, Localio AR, Panettieri RA, Kawut SM, Christie JD. Impact of pulmonary artery pressure on exercise function in severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Chest 136: 412-419, August 2009.
- Panettieri RA, MacIntyre N, Sims MW, Kerwin E, Fogarty C, Noonan M, Claus R, Andrews WT. Comparison of efficacy and safety of arformoterol 15 µg twice daily with arformoterol 30 µg once daily in subjects with COPD: a randomized, modified blind, multicenter, single dose, two way crossover study. Clinical Therapeutics, 31(8): 1716, August 2009.
- Sims MW, Tal-Singer RM, Kierstein S, Musani AI, Beers MF, Panettieri RA, Haczku A. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and inhaled steroids alter surfactant protein D (SP-D) levels: a cross-sectional study. Respiratory Research 9(13), January 2008.
- Amrani Y, Tliba O, Krymskaya VP, Sims MW, Panettieri RA. Airway smooth muscle. Asthma and COPD: Basic Mechanisms and Clinical Management, 2nd ed. Barnes PJ, Drazen JM, Rennard S, Thomson NC. (eds.). Elsevier/Academic Press, San Diego, CA, 2008.