PRIMARY AREAS OF RESEARCH:
- Molecular neuropharmacology of sleep and sleep-related respiratory disorders (obstructive sleep apnea).
- Neurobehavioral effects of early developmental alcohol exposure.
- Central control of breathing and its postnatal development.
- Molecular and cellular mechanisms of hypoxia.
- Molecular mechanisms of metabolic disorders (diabetes).
- In vivo rodent studies with administration of experimental compounds and molecular, physiologic, and behavioral endpoints.
- Quantitative analysis of mRNA and protein markers in tissue microsamples (quantitative RT-PCR and Western blot).
- Molecular profiling at the single-cell level (single-cell RT-PCR, immunocytochemistry, immunohistochemistry).
- Rodent behavioral tests, polysomnographic monitoring and scoring of sleep-wake behavior.
Stettner GM, Kubin L, Volgin DV: Loss of motoneurons in the ventral compartment of the rat hypoglossal nucleus following early postnatal exposure to alcohol. Journal of Chemical Neuroanatomy 52: 87-94, 2013.
Volgin DV, Stettner GM, Kubin L: Circadian dependence of receptors that mediate wake-related excitatory drive to hypoglossal motoneurons. Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology 188: 301-307, 2013.
Volgin DV, Kubin L: Reduced sleep and impaired sleep initiation in adult male rats exposed to alcohol during early postnatal period. Behavioural Brain Research 2012 Notes: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2012.06.002.
Stettner GM, Kubin L, Volgin DV: Antagonism of orexin 1 receptors eliminates motor hyperactivity and improves homing response acquisition in juvenile rats exposed to alcohol during early postnatal period. Behavioural Brain Research 221(1): 324-8, 2011.
Volgin DV, Malinowska M, Kubin L: Dorsomedial pontine neurons with descending projections to the medullary reticular formation express orexin-1 and adrenergic alpha2A receptor mRNA. Neuroscience Letters 459(3): 115-8, 2009.
Volgin DV, Rukhadze I Kubin L: Hypoglossal premotor neurons of the intermediate medullary reticular region express cholinergic markers. Journal of Applied Physiology 105(5): 1576-84, 2008.
Kubin L, Volgin DV: Developmental profiles of neurotransmitter receptors in respiratory motor nuclei. Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology 164(1-2): 64-71, 2008.
Volgin DV: Perinatal alcohol exposure leads to prolonged upregulation of hypothalamic GABAA receptors and increases behavioral sensitivity to gaboxadol. Neuroscience Letters 439(2): 182-6, 2008.
Thangavel C, Dhir RN, Volgin DV, Shapiro BH: Sex-dependent expression of CYP2C11 in spleen, thymus and bone marrow regulated by growth hormone. Biochemical Pharmacology 74(10): 1476-84, 2007.
Volgin DV, Kubin L: Regionally selective effects of GABA on hypothalamic GABAA receptor mRNA in vitro. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 353(3): 726-32, 2007.
back to top
Last updated: 10/21/2013
The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania