PRIMARY AREAS OF RESEARCH:
- Neural mechanisms of sleep abnormalities caused by prenatal exposure to alcohol.
- Molecular and cellular mechanisms of the hypothalamic control of sleep and wakefulness and their ontogenetic development.
- Central regulation of normal and disordered breathing (obstructive sleep apnea).
- Postnatal development of the central pathways involved in the regulation of breathing.
- Molecular and cellular mechanisms of oxygen deficiency (hypoxia).
- Molecular mechanisms of metabolic disorders (diabetes).
KEY METHODOLOGICAL EXPERTISE:
- Quantitative molecular biological techniques, including gene expression profiling at the single cell level.
Volgin DV, Kubin L: Reduced sleep and impaired sleep initiation in adult male rats exposed to alcohol during early postnatal period. Behavioural Brain Research 2012 Notes: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2012.06.002.
Stettner GM, Kubin L, Volgin DV: Antagonism of orexin 1 receptors eliminates motor hyperactivity and improves homing response acquisition in juvenile rats exposed to alcohol during early postnatal period. Behavioural Brain Research 221(1): 324-8, 2011.
Volgin DV, Malinowska M, Kubin L: Dorsomedial pontine neurons with descending projections to the medullary reticular formation express orexin-1 and adrenergic alpha2A receptor mRNA. Neuroscience Letters 459(3): 115-8, 2009.
Volgin DV, Rukhadze I Kubin L: Hypoglossal premotor neurons of the intermediate medullary reticular region express cholinergic markers. Journal of Applied Physiology 105(5): 1576-84, 2008.
Kubin L, Volgin DV: Developmental profiles of neurotransmitter receptors in respiratory motor nuclei. Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology 164(1-2): 64-71, 2008.
Volgin DV: Perinatal alcohol exposure leads to prolonged upregulation of hypothalamic GABAA receptors and increases behavioral sensitivity to gaboxadol. Neuroscience Letters 439(2): 182-6, 2008.
Thangavel C, Dhir RN, Volgin DV, Shapiro BH: Sex-dependent expression of CYP2C11 in spleen, thymus and bone marrow regulated by growth hormone. Biochemical Pharmacology 74(10): 1476-84, 2007.
Volgin DV, Kubin L: Regionally selective effects of GABA on hypothalamic GABAA receptor mRNA in vitro. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications 353(3): 726-32, 2007.
Volgin DV, Kubin L: Chronic intermittent hypoxia alters hypothalamic transcription of genes involved in metabolic regulation. Autonomic Neuroscience : Basic & Clinical 126-127: 93-9, 2006.
Volgin DV, Swan J, Kubin L: Single-cell RT-PCR gene expression profiling of acutely dissociated and immunocytochemically identified central neurons. Journal of Neuroscience Methods 136(2): 229-36, 2004.
back to top
Last updated: 10/03/2012
The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania