Dr. John J. Murphy, professor emeritus of urology in the Perelman School of Medicine and former chief of the division of urology in the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, passed away February 6, 2012; he was 91 years old.
Dr. Murphy joined the staff of HUP in 1953 after completing a surgical residency there and a urology residency at the University of Michigan. His career included teaching, clinical practice and surgery. He was appointed to the faculty in 1956 as an assistant professor. Dr. Murphy was promoted to associate professor in 1960 and to full professor in 1964. He was director of the division of urology at HUP from 1964 to 1980. After retiring from surgery in 1988, he remained on the faculty. He obtained emeritus status in 1991.
He also held appointments at the VA Medical Center and was a senior consultant in the urology department at Mercy Catholic Medical Center in Darby Borough and volunteered at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia.
A frequent traveler, Dr. Murphy was a visiting professor at the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin. In the 1970s, he was invited to consult on the layout and completion of the urology department at a new hospital in Doha, Qatar.
He published numerous papers on surgical techniques and the management of various urological problems.
Dr. Murphy was a member of several professional organizations, including the Halsted Society and the American College of Surgeons. He was past president of the Mid-Atlantic section of the American Urological Association.
Born in Scranton, PA, Dr. Murphy earned his bachelor's degree in biology from the University of Scranton in 1942 and his medical degree from Penn in 1945. He then served in the US Army Medical Corps after completing his internship at HUP.
Dr. Murphy is survived by his wife, Alice; daughters, Madeline Curry, Alice Mitchell, and Patricia Donnelly; a son, Peter; a brother, Donald J. Murphy; 13 grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. He is predeceased by his son, John.
Donations may be made to the Nature Conservancy, 4245 N. Fairfax Dr., Suite 100, Arlington, VA 22203.