Dr. Alan Rubin, retired clinical associate professor in the department of obstetrics and gynecology in the School of Medicine, passed away May 16, 2011; he was 87. Raised in Philadelphia, Dr. Rubin earned his undergraduate and medical degrees from Penn in 1945 and 1947, respectively. Following his residency at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Dr. Rubin became a research associate in the department of obstetrics and gynecology where he conducted research on cancer in women and was one of the first to recognize a hereditary link in some women with breast cancer. He was appointed a clinical associate professor in 1979. Before retiring in 1989, Dr. Rubin had also served as chief of gynecology at the former Graduate Hospital and was chairman of the obstetrics and gynecology department at Albert Einstein Medical Center.
Dr. Rubin had been a fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, the American College of Surgeons and many other professional organizations.
An active alumnus, Dr. Rubin was a past president of Pennís Medical Alumni Society and served on its executive committee for almost five decades. In addition, Dr. Rubin was a former chairman of the Medical Advisory Committee of Planned Parenthood of Philadelphia, the Federation Allied Jewish Appeal at HUP and the Citizens Council on City Planning in Philadelphia. He also served in many elected and appointed offices of the Philadelphia County Medical Society.
Dr. Rubin is survived by his sons, Blake, Alan and Stephen C. Rubin, chief of gynecological oncology at Penn Medicine; a brother; seven grandchildren; and a great-grandson.
Memorial donations may be made to the Parkinsonís Disease and Movement Disorders Center at Pennsylvania Hospital, 330 S. Ninth St., Philadelphia, PA 19107.