- International 22q11.2 Brain Behavior Consortium
- Clinical Services
- Faculty & Staff
- Contact Us
- Support Our Work
Christian Kohler, MD
Dr. Kohler received his doctorate in medicine from Innsbruck University, Austria, in 1985. He underwent training in psychiatry at Wright State University and neurology at the University of Cincinnati, both in Ohio. Dr. Kohler subsequently completed a neuropsychiatry fellowship at the University of Pennsylvania before joining the faculty in 1997. Dr. Kohler is the Clinical Director of Neuropsychiatry with special interest in evaluation and treatment of young persons with first onset of mental illness, and persons with behavioral problems in the setting of neurological or complex medical disorders. His research has focused on the area of emotion processing in healthy people and patients with brain disorders. His work has been supported by grants from the National Institute of Mental Health, Stanley Foundation, NARSAD/Brain Behavior Research Foundation and American Epilepsy Foundation and private industry (Pfizer, Sanofi-Aventis).
- 1979-1985 – Innsbruck University Medical School, Austria
- 1986-1990 – Resident in Psychiatry, Dept. of Psychiatry, Wright State University, Dayton OH
- 1990-1993 – Resident in Neurology, Dept. of Neurology, University of Cincinnati, OH
- 1994-1997 – Fellow in Neuropsychiatry, Dept. of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 7/1993-6/94 – Adjunct Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH ,
- 7/1997-present – Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- 7/2003-present – Assistant Professor of Neurology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Department of Neurology, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
- 7/2006-present – Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Neurology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Departments of Psychiatry and Neurology, School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA
Hospital and Administrative Appointments
- 1991-1994 – Staff Psychiatrist, Pauline Warfield Lewis Center, Cincinnati OH
- 1993-1994 – Staff Neurologist/Staff Psychiatrist, University Hospital, Cincinnati OH
- 1994-present – Neuropsychiatrist, Brain Behavior Clinic, Department of Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia PA
- 1995-1997 – Neuropsychiatrist, Comprehensive Epilepsy Center, Department of Neurology, The Graduate Hospital, Philadelphia PA
- 1999, 2006, 2009, 2013 – University of Pennsylvania, Dept. of Psychiatry, Residency Teaching Award
- 2002 – Philadelphia Magazine: Top Doc (Neuropsychiatry)
- 2002 – University of Pennsylvania, Finalist for Berwick Memorial Teaching Award
- 2004, 2009, 2013 – University of Pennsylvania, Finalist for Lindback Teaching Award
- 2007 – Association for Academic Psychiatry, Regional Teaching Award for Region III
- 2010, 2011 – University of Pennsylvania, Dept. of Psychiatry, Albert J. Stunkard Faculty Recognition Award
- Manual of Psychopharmacology for Nurses. Eds. Leahy and Kohler. American Psychiatric Association, 2013.
- Tang, S, Yi, J, Calkins, M, Whinna, D, Kohler, C, Souders, M, McDonald-Mcginn, D, Zackai, E, Emmanuel, B, Gur, RE. Psychiatric disorders in 22q11.2 deletion syndrome are prevalent but under-treated. Psychological Medicine (in press).
- Algon S, Yi J, Calkins ME, Kohler C, Borgmann-Winter KE. Evaluation and treatment of children and adolescents with psychotic symptoms. Current Psychiatry Reports, 2012;14:101-10.
- Hamm J, Kohler CG, Gur RC, Verma R. Automated Facial Action Coding System for dynamic analysis of facial expressions in neuropsychiatric disorders. J Neurosci Methods, 2011;200:237-56. PMID: 21741407
- Kohler CG, Walker JB, Martin EA, Healey K. Moberg PJ. Facial Emotion Perception in Schizophrenia: A Meta-analytic Review. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 2010; 36:1009-19. PMID: 19329561
- Kayser M, Kohler CG, Dalmau J. Psychiatric manifestations of paraneoplastic syndromes. American Journal of Psychiatry, 2010, 167:1039-50. PMID: 20439389
- Kohler CG, Martin EA, Stolar N,Barrett FS, Verma R, Brensinger C, Bilker W, Gur RE, Gur RC.Static Posed and Evoked Facial Expressions ofEmotions in Schizophrenia.Schizophrenia Research, 2008, 105:49-60.
- Leitman DI, Loughead J, Wolf DH,Ruparel K, Kohler CG, Elliott MA, Bilker WB, Gur RE,Gur RC.Abnormal Superior Temporal Connectivity During Fear Perception in Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 2008. 34:673-8.
- Kohler, CG, Martin EA, Milonova M,Wang P, Verma V, Brensinger CM, Bilker W, Gur RE, Gur RC. Dynamic Evoked Facial Expressions of Emotions in Schizophrenia.Schizophrenia Research, 2008, 105:30-9.
- Kohler CG, Anselmo-Gallagher G, Bilker W, Karlawish J, Gur RE, Clark C: Emotion Discrimination Deficits in Mild Alzheimer Disease. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 2005, 13:926-33.
- Kohler CG, Turner TT, Bilker WB, Brensinger C. Siegel SJ,Kanes, SJGur RE, Gur RC Facial Emotion Recognition in Schezophrenia: Intensity Effects and Error Pattern. American Journal of Psychiatry, 2003, 160:1168-1174
- Carran MA, Kohler CG, O’ Connor M, Bilker WB, Sperling MR: Mania Following Temporal Lobectomy. Neurology, 2003, 61:770-4.
- Kohler CG, Bilker W, Hagendoorn M, Gur RE, Gur RC: Emotion Recognition Deficit in Schizophrenia: Association with Symptomatology and Cognition. Biological Psychiatry, 2000, 48:127-136.
Back to Top