Iman K. Martin, PhD, MPH, MSc
Iman Martin was awarded her PhD in epidemiology in May 2012 from the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) School of Public Health. As a graduate and post-doctoral researcher in the UIC Institute for Human Genetics, Kittles lab, she focused on the contribution of genetics to racial and ethnic disparities in prostate cancer. She recently completed a Fogarty International Center Global Health fellowship focused on surveillance of cancers in Sub-Saharan Africa. In addition to her doctoral degree, she holds two masters degrees, including a M.Sc in epidemiologic sciences from the University of Michigan (2008). As Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar to District 9100 in West Africa, she earned an MPH (2004) in epidemiology and biostatistics from the University of Ghana. Dr. Martin has taken extensive graduate coursework in health behavior/health education as well as earning certificates in outbreak investigation and molecular biology. She participated in the Ronald E. McNair Scholars and University Scholars programs at the University of Pennsylvania, where she completed a dual bachelors degree in African Studies and Health & Societies. Dr. Martin is currently an NSRA Post-doctoral Fellow at the University of Pennsylvania Medical CenterNeuropsychiatry Section in the Dept. of Psychiatry and Children’s Hospital Center for Applied Genomics, focused on the contribution of social determinants and genetics to mental health disparities. She is personally dedicated to wellness for all and plans to dedicate her career to the reduction of disparities in non-communicable diseases, worldwide.
Doctorate of Philosophy in Public Health, Epidemiology, 2012 University of Illinois at Chicago, School of Public Health, Chicago, IL
Masters in Epidemiologic Science, 2008 University of Michigan, School of Public Health, Ann Arbor, MI
Masters of Public Health, 2004 University of Ghana, School of Public Health, Legon, Accra, Ghana, West Africa
Bachelor of Arts, Dual Major: Health & Societies and African Studies, 2003 University of Pennsylvania, College of Arts and Sciences, Philadelphia, PA Cum Laude; Distinction in Health & Societies
- Fogarty Global Health Fellow, Northern Pacific Global Health Fellows Program, University of Washington, 2012-13
- Fiscal Year 2010 (FY10) Department of Defense (DOD) Prostate Cancer Research Program (PCRP) of the Office of the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) Health Disparity Training Award
- 2nd Biennial Science of Global Prostate Cancer Disparities in Black Men Conference Awardee, 2012
- American Cancer Society Calle/Rodriguez Memorial Minority Travel Award for a Top Ranked Abstract, 2012
- Selected AACORN-African American Collaborative Obesity Research Network Academic Research Affiliate, Entering Class of 2010
- Selected as NCI Cancer Education and Career Development Program —Trainee, 2009-12
- GHRTI Global Health Research Training Initiative Scholar to Ghana 2007
- University of Michigan International Institute Travel Fellow to Ghana 2007
- University of Michigan International Institute Travel Fellow to Ghana 2006
- The Inter- university Consortium for Political and Social Research (ICPSR) Program Scholar 2006
- Global Health Council New Investigators Program Scholarship winner and presenter 2005
- Center for Research on Ethnicity, Culture and Health (CRECH) Scholar, 2004-2007
- University of Michigan Rackham Merit Fellow, 2004-2008
- Rotary Ambassadorial Scholar 2003 2004 to District 9100, School of Public Health, University of Ghana
- Astra Zeneca Woman One Scholar, 2003
- University Research Scholar Award 2003.
- Onyx Senior Honors Society class of 2003.
- Ronald E. McNair Scholar 2001 – 2003.
- Gillman Scholar, to participate in and promote studies abroad 2001.
- University Scholar 2001-2003.
- African American Summer Institute Scholar 1999.
- Jean Cleary Award Recipient 1999 (Award for service and community essence).
- Presidential Classroom Scholar, 1998.
Iman K. Martin MPH, MS Ph.D; Jocelyn P. Wilder MS, Adam B. Murphy, MD MBA, Vincent L. Freeman. A Meta-Analysis of the Contribution of Adiposity to Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Comparing Black and White Men. 2nd Biennial Science of Global Prostate Cancer Disparities in Black Men Conference, November 2012.
Adam B. Murphy, Yaw A. Nyame, Iman K. Martin, Ken Batai, Ebony Shah, Sara Agate, Maria Ruden, Jennifer Newsome, Michael A. Dixon, Gregory J. Zagaja, Courtney M.P. Hollowell, William J. Catalona, Rick A Kittles. Vitamin D Deficiency and Prostate Cancer Risk in African American Men. 2nd Biennial Science of Global Prostate Cancer Disparities in Black Men Conference, November 2012.
Iman K. Martin MPH, MS; Deborah R. Rosenberg, PHD; Vincent L. Freeman, MD MPH; Yikyung Park, Sc.D.; Arthur Schatzkin, M.D., Dr.P.H.; Margaret E. Wright, PhD. Measures of central adiposity in relation to prostate cancer incidence and mortality: A prospective cohort study. ASPO, 2012, March, 2012
Iman K. Martin MPH, MS, Jocelyn P. Wilder MS, Adam B. Murphy, MD MBA, Abeer M. Mahmoud, MD, Leslie T. Stayner Debora Rosenberg, PhD, Maarten C. Bosland DVSc PhD, Vincent L. Freeman. The role of adiposity in racial and ethnic disparities in prostate cancer occurrence and progression: A systematic literature review. AACR, Annual Meeting, March 2012, Chicago, IL
Adam B. Murphy, MD, MBA, Brian Kelley, MA, Yaw A. Nyame, MHSA, Iman K. Martin, MPH, MSc,Demetria J. Smith, MA, Lauren Castaneda, MA, Gregory J. Zagaja, MD, Courtney M.P. Hollowell, MD, Rick A Kittles, PhD. Predictors of Serum Vitamin D Levels in African American and European American Men in Chicago. AACR: The Science of Cancer Health Disparities in Racial and ethnic Minorities and the Medically Underserved September, 2011, Washington, DC.
Abeer M Mahmoud, Iman K. Martin, Micheal Schilisht, Larisa Nonn, Maarten Bosland. Differential effects of the isoflavone genistein on androgen receptor expression and cell proliferation comparing prostate cancer cells with mutant and wild type androgen receptor. AACR 102nd Annual Meeting 2011, Orlando, FL.
Murphy AB, Akereyeni F, Nyame YA, Guy MC, Martin IK, Hollowell CM, Walker K, Kittles RA, Ahaghotu C.Smoking and prostate cancer in a multi-ethnic cohort. Prostate. 2013 Jul 3. doi: 10.1002/pros.22699.
Murphy AB, Kelley B, Nyame YA, Martin IK, Smith DJ, Castaneda L, et al. Predictors of serum vitamin D levels in african american and european american men in chicago. Am J Mens Health. 2012 Mar 8
Expression of ALDH1 as a marker of mammary stem cells in benign and malignant breast lesions of Ghanaian women. Theresa Schwartz MD,Azadeh Stark, PhD, Judy Pang, MD, Baffour Awuah, Bsc, MBChB, FCadONC, Celina Kleer, MD, Solomon Quayson, FWACP, Stephanie Kingman, MD, Francis Aitpillah, MBChB, FWACS, Francis Abantanga, MD, Evelyn Jiagge, MD, Joseph K. Oppong, MD, Ernest Osei-Bonsu, MD, Iman Martin, PhD, Xiaowei Yan, PhD, Kathy Toy, Ernest Adjei, MD, Max Wicha, MD, Lisa A Newman, MD, MPH. Cancer. 2013 Feb 1;119(3):488-94. doi: 10.1002/cncr.27737. Epub 2012 Aug 28.
Murphy AB, Kelley B, Nyame YA, Martin IK, Smith DJ, Castaneda L, et al. Predictors of serum vitamin D levels in african american and european american men in chicago. Am J Mens Health. 2012 Mar 8.
Fitzgibbon M, Tussing-Humphreys L, Porter J, Martin I, Odoms-Young A, Sharp L. Weight loss and African–American women: A systematic review of the behavioural weight loss intervention literature. Obesity Reviews. 2012.
Awuah B, Martin IK, Takyi V, Kleer C, Nsiah-Asare A, Aitpillah F, et al. Implementation of a percutaneous core needle biopsy training program: Results from the university of Michigan–Komfo anokye teaching hospital breast cancer research partnership. Annals of surgical oncology. 2011;18(4):957-60.
Villano JL, Bressler L, Propp JM, Valyi-Nagy T, Martin IK, Dolecek TA, et al. Descriptive epidemiology of selected olfactory tumors. J Neurooncol. 2010;100(1):73-80.
Martin IK, Awuah B, Newman LA. Guide for investigators conducting international cancer research involving developing nations. Cancer. 2010;116(6):1396-9.
Stark A, Kleer CG, Martin IK, Awuah B, Nsiah-Asare A, Takyi V, et al. African ancestry and higher prevalence of triple-negative breast cancer. Cancer. 2010;116(21):4926-32.
Newman L, Martin IK, Zarbo R, Awuah B, Schultz D, Takyi V, et al. In: Frequency of estrogen receptor-negative breast cancer in women with african ancestry: Results from an international study. J clin oncol (meeting abstracts); 2008. p. 22015.Newman LA, Martin IK. Disparities in breast cancer. Curr Probl Cancer. 2007;31(3):134-56.