Thank you for your interest in pursuing doctoral studies in Biomedical Graduate Studies at the University of Pennsylvania. We are proud to have celebrated over 30 years of biomedical doctoral training!
We are no longer accepting applications for Fall 2017. Applications were be due on Thursday, December 1, 2016.
We allow applicants to apply to only one group within Biomedical Graduate Studies. However, you may ask that your application be transferred from one group to another at any point in the admissions season.
A complete application consists of:
- Application Form - A complete, submitted online application accompanied by the $80 fee. The online application will require you to upload the following documents:
- Personal Statement - Please discuss your academic and career objectives. It should be around 500 words in length. Be as specific as you can about the area in which you plan to study and your reasons for wishing to study at the University of Pennsylvania.
If you are applying to certificate program, your personal statement should include a paragraph (~200 words) reflecting your interest in those programs in addition to the doctoral discipline.
- Research Statement - Please provide a description of your research experience(s), including the goals of each project, approaches used, results obtained, and implications of the findings for the project and the field at large. You may choose to describe a single research experience or several experiences, but please limit your statement to around 1000 words in length.
- Resume/CV (Please DO NOT include GPA and/or GRE information)
- Transcripts - All BGS applicants are required to upload up-to-date unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended. These transcripts must include your Spring 2016 semester grades and indicate the courses you are enrolled in for the Fall 2016 semester. Transcripts from completed programs should show proof of degree conferral. A final, official transcript showing conferral of degree will be required of all accepted students prior to matriculation.
- Letters of Recommendation - You will also be prompted to send requests to three (3) people who are able to provide letters of recommendation. They will be sent an email notification with a link to the online recommendation form, which will allow them to upload a PDF of the letter.
- Standardized Test Scores – these should be sent directly from the testing service. BGS requires the general GRE for all applicants and an English proficiency exam (either the TOEFL or the IELTS) for applicants for whom English is not the native language. As part of the review process, we will waive the English Proficiency requirement for applicants who have or will have obtained a degree from a US or other approved English-instructed institution. There are no minimum score requirements. BGS does not require any GRE subject tests. In order for your application to be considered complete, official score reports must be received by the application deadline. In order to ensure that your official scores are received in time, we suggest that you take the exam no later than mid-November.
Please refer to our FAQ page and the Instructions section of the online application for the answers to the most common application questions.
If you have questions that are not addressed on our FAQ page or the online application, please feel free to post your question on our Admissions Blog and we will respond as soon as we can.
Download a brochure.