The University of Pennsylvania Biomedical Postdoctoral Council (BPC) is a volunteer organization run by and for postdoctoral scholars. The BPC was founded in 2000, and we were one of the first postdoctoral associations in the USA. We represent almost 1,000 biomedical postdoctoral appointees from the Perelman School of Medicine, the School of Veterinary Medicine, the School of Dental Medicine, the School of Nursing, The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute, and the Monell Chemical Senses Center. We also welcome the involvement of postdocs from the School of Arts & Sciences, the School of Engineering and Applied Science, and The Wistar Institute.
The BPC seeks to foster a sense of community, provide resources for career and personal development, and provide a framework for representation on campus and in the local community for postdoctoral scholars. We also work closely with the office of Biomedical Postdoctoral Programs (BPP), which is responsible for providing postdoctoral training at Penn.
What we do
- Annual Biomedical Postdoctoral Research Symposium
- BPC Newsletter - quarterly updates and articles
- Career enhancement and training - seminars and workshops in addition to those offered by BPP
- Community service - blood drives and volunteering
- Co-sponsored events with the Biomedical Graduate Student Association
- Diversity – advocacy, information and resources for postdoc inclusion
- Environmental action – advocacy and awareness
- Foreign nationals - advocacy, information and welcome sessions
- Fundraising - biannual vendor presentations
- Postdoc Editors Association – free manuscript and thesis editing service
- Representation at National Postdoctoral Association meetings
- Representation on the Biomedical Postdoctoral Advisory committee
- Seminars on a wide range of topics
- Social and sporting events
Please see individual committee pages for events and further information.
Like us on Facebook for regular updates - www.facebook.com/UPennBPC.
See our regular BPC emails sent via the BPP office’s email list.
Visit the BPC Newsletter for a great way to stay up-to-date with the latest postdoc news.
Join the council!
New, enthusiastic volunteers are always welcome to serve as council members, committee members, or to help organize events. As a council member, you have the opportunity to form and change postdoctoral policies, gain career-enhancing skills and build an invaluable network of peers.
The BPC holds meetings at 5pm on the first working Monday of every month in Stellar Chance 104, which are open to all postdocs.
If you would like further information please contact the BPC co-chairs at email@example.com.
The Biomedical Postdoctoral Council (BPC) and Biomedical Postdoctoral Programs (BPP) are pleased to announce:
The 14th Annual Biomedical Postdoctoral Research Symposium
BRB II/III Auditorium and Lobby
421 Curie Blvd. Philadelphia, PA 19104
Abstract submission and information to be provided shortly
This FREE event is a great way to practice your presentation skills and to learn about your fellow postdocs’ research. Posters have been very well-attended in past years
and the presenters pleased with the feedback they've received. All post-docs served by the Biomedical Postdoctoral Council (BPC) and Office of Biomedical Postdoctoral Programs (BPP)
are welcome to present, and all members of the university community are welcome to attend.