Faculty and Staff
Michael Perlis, PhD (Click to request CV)
Director of the Behavioral Sleep Medicine Program
Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry
Associate Professor, School of Nursing (secondary appointment)
Visiting Professor/Adjunct Faculty University of Glasgow
Visiting Professor/Adjunct Faculty University of Freiburg
Visiting Professor/Adjunct Faculty Northumbria University
Dr. Perlis is an Associate Professor of Psychology in the Department of Psychiatry and the Director of the Behavioral Sleep Medicine Program.
His areas of expertise include sleep in psychiatric disorders and neurocognitive phenomena in insomnia, the cognitive and behavioral mechanisms of action of sedative hypnotics & placebos, and the development of alternative treatments for insomnia. His clinical expertise is in the area of Behavioral Sleep Medicine (BSM) and he is the principle author of the first text book in this field (Treating Sleep Disorders: The Principles and Practice of Behavioral Sleep Medicine, Wiley & Sons) and is the Senior author of two textbooks on Behavioral Sleep Medicine Interventions for sleep disorders (Springer and Academic Press).
He has also authored or co-authored a variety of papers and chapters on the assessment and treatment of sleep disorders and published more than 90 empirical or theoretical papers and commentaries and chapters on sleep related topics. He is on the editorial boards of the journal Sleep, The Journal of Sleep Research, the Journal of Sleep Medicine Research, and the journal of Behavioral Sleep medicine.
In addition to his academic endeavors, he has served as
- The founding editor of the SRS & AASM Training Opportunities in Sleep Research and Sleep Medicine Manual (1995-1998) and as designer (along with Sean Drummond and Jason Ellis) of the on-line manual (2007).
- The Assistant Director of Training for the SRS (1996-2000),
- A founding member of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine Presidential Committee on Behavioral Sleep Medicine (2000-2004)
- The section chair for Behavioral Sleep Medicine (2003-2004)
- Course Director and primary lecturer for the annual CBT-I Principles and Practice Seminar (2006 - present).
- A member of the program committee for the first Behavioral Sleep Medicine Conference (Spring 2009)
- A founding member of the Society of Behavioral Sleep Medicine (SBSM) and the society’s first president (2010-2011) . Currently, he is a member of the board of directors for the SBSM.
< return to Faculty Listing