About our Research
On-Going Research (pre-publication work)
Questions under investigation:
- Can clinical gains with Zolpidem be sustained by partial reinforcement? PI: Perlis; Funded by NIH/NCCAM
- Which Insomnia related correlate best accounts for insomnia severity: Attention Bias, Cortical Arousal, Dysfunctional Thinking, or Somatic Arousal? Co-PI: MP; Co-PI: Colin Espie; Funded by NIH/NIMH
- Do the transitions between good sleep, acute insomnia, and chronic insomnia have predictable mediators/moderators? PI: Perlis; Funded by NH/NIA
- Does CBT-I, with or without modafinil, in patients with insomnia co-morbid with OSA improve sleep continuity and lead to better adherence with CBT-I? Does improved sleep continuity lead to better adherence with Positive Airway Pressure Therapy for OSA? PI: Perlis; Funded by Teva Pharmaceutical Industries, LTD.
- Does completed suicide occur with a peak frequency at night? PI: Perlis (Collaborators: Grandner, G. Brown, M. Basner, S. Chakravorty, D. Dinges, M. Thase, Chaudhary, and P. Gehrman. In submission with AFSP.
- Do patients with Insomnia exhibit an attenuation of the normal mesograde amnesia of sleep? Does this also exist as a main effect or as an interaction with again? PI: Perlis; In submission with NIH/ NIA
- Does insomnia affect reproductive capacity? Co-PI: Perlis; Co-PI: Jackie Kloss, PhD. In Submission with NIH/NICHD.
- How does sleep disturbance develop across pre-, during, and postpartum pregnancy? Co-PI: Perlis; Co-PI: Jackie Kloss, PhD. In submission with NIH/NICHD.
- Cardiometabolic Health and Relationships to Sleep (CHARTS)
- Sleep and Healthy Activity, Diet, Environment, and Social Factors (SHADES)
- Short Sleepers: Neurobehavioral, Metabolic, and Biopsychosocial Characteristics (Short Sleep Study)
- Long Term Follow-Up and Short and Long Sleepers
- Sleep and Health in the American Population
For more information on Dr. Grandner's study, visit: http://www.michaelgrandner.com/pages/research-projects.html
- What aspects of neurobiology confer resilience to PTSD in military personnel? PI: Kling; Funded by DARPA/DoD
- How do circadian rhythms contribute to the pathophysiology of PTSD? PI: Gehrman; Funded by DARPA/DoD
- How does CBT-I delivered by telehealth compare to in-person delivery in terms of clinical outcomes and health care costs? PI: Kuna; Funded by VA
What aspects of metabolism are altered in insomnia? PI: Gehrman; Funded by Merck
- Does chronic insomnia increase risk for dementia? PI: Gehrman; Funded by Penn Institute of Aging pilot grant
How are genetics related to insomnia? PI: Gehrman; Unfunded project.
Is imagery rehearsal an effective treatment for nightmares in Veterans with PTSD? PI: Ross; Funded by DoD
Can a mobile device help with stress and anger management? PI: Gehrman; Funded by DoD
- A randomized controlled study evaluating the efficacy of CBT-I for early recovery from alcohol dependence, and the role of family history of first-degree alcohol dependence in moderating insomnia symptoms and treatment outcomes.
- Does CBT-I, with or without modafinil, in patients with insomnia co-morbid with OSA improve sleep continuity and lead to better adherence with CBT-I? Does improved sleep continuity lead to better adherence with Positive Airway Pressure Therapy for OSA? PI: Perlis.
- An exploratory study assessing whether insomnia negatively influences reproductive capacity.
- A pilot study on auditory sensory acuity in patients with insomnia
- A pilot study re: the attenuation of the normal mesograde amnesia of sleep in insomnia
- GWAS studies looking to identify genotypes for various insomnia related phenotypes
- A rollout study for group CBT-I in veterans using telehealth technologies
- An exploratory study assessing for PTSD related biomarkers
- An exploratory study assessing whether survey of lab based measures can discriminate between true short sleep and insufficient sleep syndrome
- A clinical case-series study exploration of CBT-I outcomes and the effects of treatment on non-sleep measures
- A pilot study evaluating the efficacy of CBT-I for early recovery from alcohol dependence.
- A study assessing the effects of CPAP (vs. sham CPAP) on insomnia in the context of SDB.