All new users of our core must follow the same training procedure, regardless of background experience. If you are unsure as to which type of microscope is best for your experiment, contact Andrea Stout or Jasmine Zhao to schedule a consultation.
Upcoming pre-training lectures (location is 1101 BRB unless otherwise noted):
Thursday, March 29 2018, 12:00 — 1:30 pm (note: lecture will be held in 1201 BRB)
Thursday, April 26 2018, 12:00 — 1:30 pm
Thursday, May 24 2018, 12:00 — 1:30 pm
Attendance at the monthly pre-training lecture is recommended but not required for our widefield microscopes. Click the gray bar to view more details.
Arrange a hands-on training session the same way you would arrange an assisted session:
- Set up your Microscopy Core Scheduler account
- Email Andrea or Jasmine to discuss your experiment and arrange a time to meet at the microscope. Be prepared to bring a sample similar to those you“ll be using for your project.
- The following microscopes fall into this category: Zeiss and Leica widefields in Anatomy-Chemistry, Leica widefield and EVOS FL Auto in Smilow, and Deltavision Core in BRB.
Attendance at the pre-training lecture is mandatory for all who wish to do hands-on training on a confocal. Click the gray bar for more information.
Please follow these instructions when requesting confocal training
- Email Andrea with a request to be added to the list for the next training lecture. This is also a good time to describe your plans for using our confocals.
- Set up your Microscopy Core account.
- Recommended (but not required) for labs new to our core: request an assisted session with Andrea or Jasmine to see if your samples are compatible with or benefit from confocal imaging.
- Hands-on training is done individually or in pairs and may be scheduled for any time after the required pre-training lecture. Contact Andrea or Jasmine to arrange a time to meet at the microscope. Be prepared to bring a sample similar to those you“ll be using for your project.
Lightsheet or Super-resolution (Airyscan, STED, or Vutara) imaging
Attendance at the pre-training lecture is mandatory for all who wish to do hands-on training on one of these systems. Click the gray bar for more information and note the extra requirements.
Please follow these instructions when requesting training on one of the above systems
- Email Andrea with a request to be added to the list for the next training lecture if you haven't already attended it.
- Set up your Microscopy Core account if you haven't done that yet.
- Set up a meeting with Andrea to discuss (a) sample preparation requirements for your chosen modality and (b) discuss technical details of your chosen modality that differ from conventional widefield or confocal.
- Arrange with Andrea to do an assisted session prior to hands-on training. This is mandatory: you will not be trained during this session, but you will see what's involved and will learn what data management strategies you should get in place before you begin using the system.
- After your assisted session, arrange a separate hands-on training session with Andrea. After completion of this, you may reserve the microscope to work independently.
© The Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania | Site best viewed in a supported browser. | Site Design: PMACS Web Team.