Nonhuman Primate Core Services
- Nonhuman Primate Pilot Grant Program
- Regulatory oversight and assistance in acquiring nonhuman primates
- Consultation on study design for nonhuman primate studies
- Routine veterinary care and husbandry
- Perform aspects of HIV-related research studies using nonhuman primates
- Clinical Laboratory Services
- Anatomic Pathology
- Confocal microscopy and image analysis
- Flow cytometry and immunology
- Viral characterization, isolation and production
This service provides viral challenge stocks and viral isolation to CFAR investigators. A variety of viral stocks are available, including, but not limited to: SIVmac239, SIVmac251, and SHIV 162P. All have been tittered in vitro and several have been tittered in vivo . These stocks are suitable for animal inoculation by various routes, including mucosal routes. Additional retrovirus challenge stocks are provided upon request.
The second service offered is isolation of SIV/SHIV from blood, cerebrospinal fluid, and cells isolated from tissues of infected animals. Cell-associated viral loads determined from limiting dilution analysis, as previously described, will also be offered. Cell culture systems available for virus isolation include rhesus and human PBMCs to meet the special requirements of certain virus strains, such as CCR5 tropic SHIVs like SHIV162p3 and SHIV162p4. Basic tissue culture systems include CEMx174 cells and PM1 cells, a cell line that expresses CCR5. Molt 4 cells are available for SIVs with unique co-receptor requirements. In summary, a wide variety of culture systems are available to meet the requirement of known SIVs and SHIVs.
Core Services Contact:
Andrew A. Lackner, D.V.M., Ph.D.