- BSL-3 Facility
- Training Program in HIV Biosafety Practices for Lab Personnel:
Training program in HIV biosafety practices for lab personnel
In conjunction with the Penn/Wistar/CHOP Offices of Occupational and
Environmental Safety, the CFAR Viral/Molecular CFAR Core offers a
combined didactic and hands-on training program in biosafety laboratory
practices targeted for HIV laboratory personnel, as well as
consultation for specific issues or questions. This program is designed
to supplement the bloodborne pathogen biosafety training programs
offered by the respective institutional Occupational and Environmental
Safety offices. Hands-on training will cover:
(1) Laboratory entry/exit procedures
(2) Biosafety cabinet setup and waste management
(3) Concepts of work areas, glove changing
(4) Centrifuge principles
(5) Ending work session and HIV inactivation
(6) Transport principles
(7) Accident and emergency procedures
Services available to all laboratory personnel within CFAR member labs include:
1. Two-step training program in HIV biosafety practices
There is a $100 fee for users outside of the Wistar Institute. The combined training program is recommended for:
- initial training of lab personnel who are new to HIV work
(as a supplement to standard Wistar/Penn/CHOP biosafety and bloodborne
- periodic refresher for lab personnel involved in HIV research but starting in a new laboratory at Penn/Wistar/CHOP.
2. Consultations regarding safety practices for HIV-1 handling on a case-by-case basis
Safety consultations will be free up to 30 minutes, and on-site visits for a $50 charge.
Click to request training or consultation. You will then be contacted to schedule training or a consultation session.
For further information:
- Training-specific information: Click for specific training description (step 1 and step 2: training and hands-on segment
- General Questions: To discuss general training program features or address scheduling/access-related questions directly, contact Ms. Jennifer Dubin at 215-898-3934, or email email@example.com.
- Program Supervisor: To forward suggestions or communicate feedback to program supervisor, contact Dr. Luis Montaner at 215-898-9143, or email Montaner@wistar.org.