- BSL-3 Facility
- Training Program in HIV Biosafety Practices for Lab Personnel:
- Part 1: Manual, General Trainings, and BSL-3 Video
- Part 2: Hands-on Training Program (60-minute session)
Training Part 1: Manual, General Trainings, and BSL-3 Video
After registering online, please follow these steps to complete your training:
2. Document up-to-date attendance at a blood-borne pathogen safety training session. If you have obtained training in the past but are in need of an annual refresher program, you can (a) go the Wistar web site and take the online blood-borne pathogens training course (if access computer is based at Wistar) or (b) take the web-based refresher training offered by Penn or CHOP.
3. Document having received radiation safety training at the University of Pennsylvania. (Optional for non-Wistar employees)
4. Document having received hepatitis B vaccination or your intent to decline vaccination. If you have not been vaccinated and wish to receive it, please contact the Wistar Environmental Health & Safety Manager at 215-898-3712 or by email at EHS@wistar.org. Note that payment of the vaccine will be invoiced to Wistar if the request is for a Wistar employee or to Penn if a Penn employee. (Optional for non-Wistar employees)
5. Seroscreening: You must document participation in an HIV seroscreening program or opt out from such a program. (Optional for non-Wistar employees)
6. Contact the Wistar Environmental Health & Safety Manager at 215-898-3712 or by email at EHS@wistar.org to make an appointment for regularly scheduled Safety Training Discussion and video screening of BSL-3 Safety Practices. You will be asked about the contents of the Code of Practice to ensure your understanding of operational procedures.
7. Once steps 1-6 are completed, contact the BSL-3 Manager Agnes Mackiewicz by e-mail at email@example.com to coordinate a person-to-person awareness training on implementation of the BSL-3 code of practice in the Wistar BSL-3 Facility. When coming to meet with the Agnes, you must have with you (1) completed/signed checklist for steps #1-6 and (2) a PO number to use for billing of training or a check for $100.
8. If you plan to use the Wistar BSL-3 facility, you will also need to meet with Dr. Montaner to review your BSL-3 needs and to obtain clearance for biometric personalized access to the Wistar BSL-3 facility (will need to contact the Wistar Security Office, Room L84 to initiate access, office hours 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.). Your meeting with Dr. Montaner (step 8) will be coordinated with training provided by Agnes (step 7). (If you will not be a user of the Wistar BSL-3 facility, you are not required to complete step 8.)