- HIV-1 viral isolate repository
- Virus isolation from clinical samples
- Virus phenotyping (SI / NSI and R5 / R5X4 / X4 analysis)
- HIV-1 p24 and SIV p27 Gag antigen ELISA assay
- Amplification and QA of virus stocks
- Mycoplasma testing of virus stocks
- Inactivated HIV-1 Virions
- Plate Fluorimetry, Luminometry and Continuous Absorbance Spectophotometer
- Custom Viral Services & Consultation in other viral services
Order Virology Support services through the Path BioResource at Penn. Instructions for the Path BioResource can be found here on the CFAR website or on the Path BioResource site itself.
Core Service Contact:
Farida Shaheen, Ph.D.
Technical Director, Viral and Molecular Core
Inactivated HIV-1 Virions
Virions are grown in permissive cell lines or generated by transfection of 293T cells with proviral clones, and then treated with aldrithiol-2 (AT-2), which covalently modifies the zinc fingers of Gag to render virus non-infectious but preserves conformational and functional integrity of virion surface proteins. Virion particles are suitable for use where conformationally intact inactivated virus is desired.
While virus is tested for infectivity prior to release, we recommend that appropriate biosafety procedures be maintained nonetheless.
|Bald (Env-negative) virus|
|Reference for AT-2 treatment: Rossio JL, et al. JV 72:7992-8001, 1998|
Other custom HIV-1 or SIV viruses can be generated upon request; please inquire for details.