- HIV-1 viral isolate repository
- HIV-1 p24 and SIV/HIV-2 p27 Gag antigen ELISA assay
- HIV-1 viral load assay for plasma (research assay)- NEW!
- Inactivated HIV-1 Virions
- Amplification and QA of virus stocks
- Mycoplasma testing of virus stocks
- Virus isolation from clinical samples
- Virus phenotyping (SI / NSI and R5 / R5X4 / X4 analysis)
- Plate Fluorimetry, Luminometry and Continuous Absorbance Spectophotometer
- Custom Viral Services & Consultation in other viral services
The Core offers an HIV-1 viral load assay suitable for research purposes on plasma, with a standard range sensitivity. This is optimized to detect all HIV-1 subtypes, using real-time PCR and a Pol (integrase) gene target. This assay is useful for humanized mouse studies, also suitable for human plasma for research studies (non-CLIA).The assay currently has a threshold for quantification of 10 copies per reaction, and the final sensitivity depends on the amount of plasma available.
Please contact the Core to discuss type of sample, amount of sample available, sensitivity required, and other aspects of experimental setup to optimize assay use.
Order Virology Support services through the Path BioResource at Penn. Instructions for the Path BioResource can be found here on the CFAR website or on the Path BioResource site itself.
Core Service Contact:
Farida Shaheen, Ph.D.
Technical Director, Viral and Molecular Core
Top: Infection of CD4+ cell line with NSI isolate (left) and SI isolate (right), under phase microscopy.
Bottom: Immunofluorescence staining of HIV antigens (yellow). Uninfected cells (left) and infected cells (right).