- Thank you to Matt O'Brien, MD, MSc for talking about his work to establish a long-term academic/community partnership, Puentes de Salud, and his research to address Latino health disparities during our seminar on October 24, 2012. The presentation slides are now available here.
- We are excited to announce Liz Lowenthal, MD has been awarded a K23 career award from the National Institute of Mental Health. Her award, entitled “Targeted Monitoring and Determinants of Adherence in Adolescents with HIV,” begins in September 2012. Dr. Lowenthal is an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, and has been involved in research in Botswana for many years; Botswana will be the site of her newly awarded research project.
- We are pleased to announce the recipients of the 2012 CTSA Community Engagement And Research Core Pilot Grants! John Jackson was awarded for his proposal "Spirituality, Cultural Practices, and Cardiovascular Health" and Lisa Lewis for her proposal "Antiretroviral Medication Adherence Beliefs among HIV-Positive Individuals Post Release from Prison." Congratulations to Dr. Jackson and Dr. Lewis!
- Click here to watch Dr. Karen Glanz discuss her new paper published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine on supermarket strategies and obesity.
- CHBR Research Assistant Lauren Johnson has been named a Hillman Scholar, a very exciting opportunity in the School of Nursing that admits undergraduate nursing students into the PhD program and provides substantial tuition support and mentorship. Congratulations Lauren!
- Dr. Ronac Mamtani, MSCE student and mentee of Dr. Glanz, has had a fruitful year! His article “Long-term therapy with thiazolidinediones may be associated with increased incidence of bladder cancer: A cohort study” is being published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute. In July, he begins a fellowship with the Cellular Molecular Biologics in Clinical Cancer Research program at the Abramson Cancer Center. He has also been awarded multiple honors by the American Society of Clinical Oncology including their Young Investigators Award, acceptance of an abstract into the Best of ASCO program, and the 2012 Conquer Cancer Foundation of ASCO Merit Award.