Studies within the Center for Preventive Ophthalmology and Biostatistics
The CPOB is home to several multi-center clinical trials, serving in the capacities of the Coordinating Center or Fundus Photograph Reading Center. For each trial, a multi-disciplinary team of professionals is assembled to provide the required expertise.
Click on the links below to learn more about CPOB Studies:
Ongoing Studies in the CPOB include:
- (CATT) The Comparison of Age-related Macular Degeneration Treatments Trials
- (e-ROP) Telemedicine Approaches to Evaluating Acute-phase Retinopathy of Prematurity Study
- (MUST) The Multicenter Uveitis Steroid Treatment Trial
- (RCRIC) Retinopathy in Chronic Renal Insufficiency
- (Scleritis) Iontophoresis Delivery of Dexamethasone Phosphate for Non-infectious, Non-necrotizing Anterior Scleritis, Phase 1 Dose-varying Study
- (SITE) The Complications of Immunosuppressive Therapy for Eye Diseases Cohort Study
Completed multi-center studies led by CPOB:
- (CAPT) The Complications of Age-related Macular Degeneration Prevention Trial
- (VIP) Vision in Preschoolers Study
- The Choroidal Neovascularization Prevention Trial (CNVPT; 1994-2000), sponsored in part by the National Eye Institute (NEI) was a pilot randomized trial of laser photocoagulation in eyes at high risk of choroidal neovascularization secondary to age-related macular degeneration. The CNVPT included 276 patients, 15 clinical centers, and resulted in 6 peer-reviewed publications. THE CNVPT was the pilot study for the CAPT Study.
- Age-Related Macular Degeneration Radiotherapy Trial (AMDRT;2000-2003): CPOB staff served as the Coordinating Center for the AMDRT, an NEI sponsored pilot study to evaluate the safety and feasibility of conducting a large-scale trial of radiotherapy for eyes with neovascular AMD. The AMDRT included 88 patients, 10 clinical centers and resulted in 3 publications.