- About the Center
- Getting Treatment at Our Center
- About the Disorders We Treat
- Information for Professionals
- Find a PE Therapist
- Contact Us
- Support Our Work
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Join Us on Facebook
Anu Asnaani, Ph.D.
Anu Asnaani, Ph.D., is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology in Psychiatry at University of Pennsylvania and at the Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety (CTSA). Dr. Asnaani received her Bachelors of Science degree in psychology from Brown University and her Doctoral degree in clinical psychology from Boston University. Dr. Asnaani's current research interests include understanding what mechanisms underlie better treatment outcomes, examining the impact of emotion regulation and diversity issues on evidence-based treatments, and effectively increasing dissemination of empirically-supported treatments for PTSD, OCD and other anxiety disorders. To date, Dr. Asnaani has published extensively in these areas, and has given a number of educational lectures, seminars and workshops to a range of providers on how to competently deliver evidence-based treatments for anxiety-based disorders in both national and international settings. In 2015, Dr. Asnaani was recognized for her significant contributions in the promotion of ethnic minority issues by being awarded the Emerging Researcher Award by APA Division 45 (Society for the Psychological Study of Culture, Ethnicity, and Race). Dr. Asnaani specializes in cognitive-behavioral treatment for social anxiety, panic disorder, specific phobias, generalized anxiety, substance use disorders, Prolonged Exposure for PTSD, and in Exposure and Response Prevention (EX/RP) for OCD.
- Asnaani, A., Kaczkurkin, A., Alpert, E., McLean, C.P., Simpson, H.B., & Foa, E.B. (in press). The effect of treatment on quality of life and functioning in OCD. Comprehensive Psychiatry.
- Beard, C., Fuchs, C., Asnaani, A., Schulson, M., Schofield, C.A., Clerkin, E.M., & Weisberg, R.B. (in press). A pilot open trial of cognitive bias modification for panic disorder. Cognitive Therapy and Research.
- Nickerson, A., Garber, B., Ahmed, O., Asnaani, A., Cheung, J., Hofmann, S.G., Huynh, L., Liddell, B.J., Litz, B.T., Pajak, R., & Bryant, R.A. (2016). Emotional suppression in torture survivors: Relationship to posttraumatic symptoms and trauma-related negative affect. Psychiatry Research, 242, 233-9.
- Asnaani, A., Kaczkurkin, A.N., Tannahill, H., & Fitzgerald, H. (2016). Moderators of change in social anxiety during CBT in a transdiagnostic, naturalistic treatment-seeking sample. Journal of Experimental Psychopathology, 7, 655-670.
- Kaczkurkin, A.N., Asnaani, A., Alpert. E., & Foa, E.B. (2016). The impact of treatment condition and the lagged effect of PTSD symptom severity and alcohol use on changes in alcohol craving. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 79, 7-14.
- Asnaani, A., Alpert, E., McLean, C.P., & Foa, E.B. (2015). Resilient but addicted: Nicotine withdrawal and resilience as predictors of PTSD symptoms severity. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 65, 146-153.
- Asnaani, A., Reddy, M.K., Shea, M.T. (2014). The impact of PTSD symptoms on physical and mental health functioning in returning veterans. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 28, 310-317.
- Asnaani, A., Rinck, M., Becker, E., & Hofmann, S.G. (2014). The effects of approach-avoidance modification on social anxiety disorder: A pilot study. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 38, 226-238.
- Asnaani, A., Sawyer, A.T., Aderka, I.M., & Hofmann, S.G. (2013). Effect of suppression, reappraisal, and acceptance of emotional pictures on acoustic eye-blink startle magnitude. Journal of Experimental Psychopathology, 4, 182-193.
- Hofmann, S.G., Asnaani, A., Vonk, I.J.J., Sawyer, A.T., & Fang, A. (2012). A review of meta-analyses of cognitive behavioral therapies. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 36, 427-440.
- Hofmann, S.G., Sawyer, A.T., Fang, A., & Asnaani, A. (2012). An emotion dysregulation model of anxiety and mood disorders. Depression and Anxiety, 29,409-416.
- Asnaani, A. & Hofmann, S.G. (2012). Collaboration in culturally responsive therapy: Establishing a strong therapeutic alliance across cultural lines. Journal of Clinical Psychology: In Session, 68, 187-197.
- Fang, A., Sawyer, A.T., Asnaani, A., & Hofmann, S.G. (2012). Social cost exposures for social anxiety disorder. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice,doi:10.1016/j.cbpra.2012.05.003
- Chou, T., Asnaani, A., & Hofmann, S.G. (2012). Perception of racial discrimination and psychopathology across three U.S. ethnic minority groups. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 18, 74-81.
- McLean, C., Asnaani, A., Litz, B., & Hofmann, S.G. (2011). DSM-IV anxiety disorders across gender: Results from the Collaborative Psychiatric Epidemiology Studies. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 45, 1027-1035.
- Hofmann, S.G., Smits, J.A.J., Asnaani, A., Gutner, C.A., & Otto, M.W. (2011) Cognitive enhancers for anxiety disorders. Pharmacology, Biochemistry, & Behavior, 99, 275-284.
- Hofmann, S.G., Asnaani, A., & Hinton, D.E. (2010). Cultural aspects in social anxiety and social anxiety disorder. Depression and Anxiety, 27, 1117-1127.
- Asnaani, A., Richey, J.A., Dimaite, R., Hinton, D.E., & Hofmann, S.G. (2010). A cross-ethnic comparison of lifetime prevalence rates of anxiety disorders. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 198, 551-555.
- Hofmann, S.G., Richey, J.A., Asnaani, A., & Sawyer, A.T. (2010). Avoiding treatment failures in Social Anxiety Disorder. In Otto, M.W., & Hofmann, S.G. (eds.), Avoiding Treatment Failures in the Anxiety Disorders. New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
- Lewis-Fernandez, R., Hinton, D.E., Laria, A.J., Patterson, L.H., Hofmann, S.G., Craske, M.G.,Stein, D.J., Asnaani, A. & Liao, B. (2010). Culture and the anxiety disorders: Recommendations for DSM-V. Depression and Anxiety, 27, 212-229.
- Hofmann, S. G., Glombiewski, J., Asnaani, A., & Sawyer, A.T. (2010). Mindfulness and acceptance: The perspective of cognitive therapy. In Herbert, J., & Forma, E. (eds.), Acceptance and Mindfulness in Cognitive Behavior Therapy. New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
- Asnaani, A., Gutner, C.A., Hinton, D.E., & Hofmann, S.G. (2009). Panic Disorder, panic attacks and panic attack symptoms across race-ethnic groups: Results of the Collaborative Psychiatric Epidemiology Studies. CNS Neuroscience & Therapeutics, 15(3), 249-254.
Back to Top