- About the Center
- Getting Treatment at Our Center
- About the Disorders We Treat
- Information for Professionals
- Find a PE Therapist
- Contact Us
- Support Our Work
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Join Us on Facebook
Carmen McLean, Ph.D.
University of Nebraska, Lincoln
Description of research
Carmen P. McLean, Ph.D. is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychology in Psychiatry at the Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety. Dr. McLean received her Bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of British Columbia and her Master's and Doctoral degrees in clinical psychology from the University of Nebraska at Lincoln. After completing her clinical internship at the University of Chicago Medical Center in 2008, Dr. McLean completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the National Center for PTSD at the Boston VA, where she conducted research on Web-based interventions for PTSD. Her research program focuses on the dissemination and implementation of evidence-based treatments for PTSD and the use of technology to improve PTSD treatment access and outcomes. Dr. McLean is a licensed clinical psychologist who specializes in Prolonged Exposure Therapy (PE) for PTSD, Exposure and Response Prevention (EX/RP) for OCD, and cognitive-behavioral treatments for social anxiety, panic disorder, specific phobias, and generalized anxiety.
- McLean, C. P., Su, Y. J., & Foa, E. B. (2015). Mechanisms of Symptom Reduction in a Combined Treatment for Comorbid Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Alcohol Dependence. Journal of Clinical and Consulting Psychology, 83(3), 655-661. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/ccp0000024
- McLean, C. P., Yeh, R., Rosenfield, D., & Foa, E. B. (2015). Negative posttraumatic cognitions as a mediator of treatment outcome among adolescents with PTSD related to child sexual abuse. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 68, 64-69. doi:10.1016/j.brat.2015.03.008
- McLean, C. P., Zandberg, L., Van Meter, P. E., Carpenter, J. K., Simpson, H. B., & Foa, E. B. (2015). Exposure and response prevention helps adults with obsessive compulsive disorder who do not respond to pharmacological augmentation strategies. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, 76(12), 11653-7. doi: 10.4088/JCP.14m09513.
- McLean, C. P., Su, Y. J., Carpenter, J., & Foa, E. B. (2015). Changes in PTSD and Depressive Symptoms During Prolonged Exposure and Client-Centered Treatment for PTSD In Adolescents. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology. doi:10.1080/15374416.2015.1012722
- McLean, C. P., & Foa, E. B. (2014).The Use of Prolonged Exposure Therapy to Help Patients With PTSD. Clinical Practice, 11(2), 233-241. doi:10.2217/cpr.13.96
- McLean, C. P., Morris, S, H., Conklin, P., Jayawickreme, N., & Foa, E. B. (2014). Trauma Characteristics and Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Among Adolescents Survivors of Childhood Sexual Abuse. Journal of Family Violence, 29(5), 559-566. doi:10.1007/s10896-014-9613-6.
- Foa, E. B., Yusko, D. A., McLean, C. P., Suvak, M. K., Bux, D. A., Oslin, D., O’Brien, C. P., Imms, P., Riggs, D. S., &Volpicelli, J. (2013). Concurrent Naltrexone and Prolonged Exposure Therapy for Patients With Co-morbid Alcohol Dependence and PTSD: A Randomized Control Trial. Journal of the American Medical Association, 310(5), 488-95. doi: 10.1001/jama.2013.8268.
- McLean, C. P. & Foa, E. B. (2013). Dissemination and Implementation of Prolonged Exposure Therapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Journal of Anxiety Disorders. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.janxdis.2013.03.004
- Foa, E. B., McLean, C. P., Capaldi, S., & Rosenfield D. (2013). Prolonged Exposure versus Supportive Counseling for Sexual Abuse-Related PTSD in Adolescent Girls: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of the American Medical Association, 310(24), 2650-7. doi:10.1001/jama.2013.282829.
Back to Top