- About the Center
- Getting Treatment at Our Center
- About the Disorders We Treat
- Information for Professionals
- Training Opportunities
- Adolescent Intensive Training in Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
- Intensive Training in Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
- PTSD Assessment and Treatment Workshop
- Introduction to Exposure & Response Prevention (Ex/RP) Workshop
- OCD Assessment and Treatment Workshop
- Intensive Training in Exposure & Response Prevention (Ex/RP) for OCD
- Find a PE Therapist
- Contact Us
- Support Our Work
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Join Us on Facebook
Elna Yadin, Ph.D.
Bryn Mawr College
Elna Yadin, Ph.D., a native of Israel, received her doctoral degree in physiological and experimental psychology at Bryn Mawr College in the U.S. in 1979. She spent 20 years studying the neuroscience of anxiety and relief mechanisms in the brain as it pertains to anxiety disorders and their treatment. She then specialized in clinical psychology and has been working at the Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety at the University of Pennsylvania since 1998, where she serves as Clinical Faculty and the coordinator for the Ex/RP workshop. As part of the team at CTSA, she has been treating patients with a variety of anxiety disorder and training and supervising professionals around the world in the implementation of evidence-based treatments for OCD and PTSD. Dr. Yadin specializes in Prolonged Exposure Therapy (PE) for PTSD, Exposure and Response Prevention (EX/RP) for OCD, and cognitive-behavioral treatment for social anxiety, panic disorder, specific phobias, and generalized anxiety. Dr. Yadin is fluent in English and Hebrew.
- Foa, E. B., Doron, M. & Yadin, E. (2004). Prolonged Exposure: Treatment Manual for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (Hebrew). Community Stress Prevention Centre Press.
- Foa, E. B., Doron, M. & Yadin, E. (2004). Prolonged Exposure: Treatment Manual for Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (Hebrew). Second Edition. Community Stress Prevention Centre Press.
- Foa, E. B., Yadin, E., & Lichner, T. K. (2012). Exposure and Response Prevention for OCD: Therapist Guide. Treatments That Work: Oxford University Press.
- Yadin, E., Foa, E. B., & Lichner, T. K. (2012). Treating Your OCD with Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy: Patient Workbook. Treatments That Work: Oxford University Press.
- Thomas, E. & Yadin, E. Talking to the Brain. (in preparation).
- Foa, E. B., Hembree, E. A., Cahill, S. P., Rauch, S. A., Riggs, D. S., Feeny, N. C., &Yadin, E. (2005). Randomized trial of prolonged exposure for posttraumatic stress disorder with and without cognitive restructuring: Outcome at academic and community clinics. Journal of Consulting Clinical Psychology, 73, 953-64.
- Huppert, J. D., Walther, M. R., Hajcak, G., Yadin, E., Foa, E. B., Simpson, H. B., & Liebowitz, M. R. (2007). The OCI-R: validation of the subscales in a clinical sample. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 21, 394-406.
- Rauch, S. A. M., Grunfeld, T. E. E., Yadin, E., Cahill S. P., Hembree, E., & Foa, E. B. (2009). Changes in reported physical health symptoms and social function with prolonged exposure therapy for chronic posttraumatic stress disorder. Depression and Anxiety, 0, 1-7.
- Yadin, E. & Foa, E. B. (2009). How to reduce distress and repetitive behaviors in patients with OCD? Current Psychiatry, 8, 19-24.
- Gilboa-Schechtman, E., Foa, E. B., Shafran, N., Aderka, I. M., Powers, M. B., Rachamim, L., Rosenbach, L., Yadin, E., & Apter , A. (2010). Prolonged exposure versus dynamic therapy for adolescents with PTSD: A Pilot Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 49, 1034-1042.
- Foa, E. B. & Yadin, E. (2011). Assessment and diagnosis of posttraumatic stress disorder: An overview of measures. Psychiatric Times, 28, 63-71.
- Gillihan, S. J., Williams, M. T., Malcoun, E., Yadin, E., & Foa, E. B. (2012). Common Pitfalls in Exposure and Response Prevention (EX/RP) for OCD. Journal of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders, 1, 251-257.
- Thomas, E., DeWolfe, M., Sancar, F., Todi, N., & Yadin, E. (2012). Electrophysiological analysis of the interaction between the lateral septum and the central nucleus of the amygdala. Neuroscience Letters, 574, 79-83.
- Levy, H. C., McLean, C. P., Yadin, E., & Foa, E. B. (2013). Characteristics of Individuals Seeking Treatment for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. Behavior Therapy, 44(3), 408-416.
- NBC10 Healthwatch segment on OCD, February 2000
- FOX News morning news, October 2001
- BBC Science/Discovery Channel, “Obsessions: Who is Normal Anyway?,” May 2002
- NBC10 Healthwatch segment on “How to Talk to Kids about the tsunami,” January 2005
- NBC10 Healthwatch segment on “Bridge Phobias,” Summer 2007
- Main Line Today, “Child Study Institute: Anxiety Disorders,” September 2009
- Philadelphia Inquirer, “When Hoarding Becomes a Problem,” September 2009
- NPR, Comments on Trapped Chilean Miners, August 2010
- TalkBlogRadio, “It Can’t Just Be Me” on “OCD and Hoarding,” September 2010
- O Magazine, “Can a Single Pill Change Your Life?,” February 15, 2011
- The Daily Pennsylvanian, “Don’t let paralyzing fear hold you back,” April 2011
- The Barry Kirkey Radio Show, “OCD,” April 20, 2011
- Reji Mathew, PhD – Writer, “Running from Pain - Understanding posttraumatic stress disorder,” June 1, 2011
As of the end of August 2015, after 18 years at the CTSA, Dr. Elna Yadin will be leaving her part-time position at the Center. The role of Director of the OCD Clinic will be assumed by Dr. Steve Tsao, and of the Foreign Visitor Liaison by Dr. Anu Asnaani. Dr. Yadin will continue to be affiliated with the Strong Star project, coordinating and team-teaching the CTSA's Exposure and Response (Ritual) Prevention treatment OCD workshop for professionals offered every July, supervising psychiatry residents, engaging in dissemination of treatment, and advocating for OCD sufferers and their families. She can be reached at email@example.com.
Back to Top