- About the Center
- Getting Treatment at Our Center
- About the Disorders We Treat
- Information for Professionals
- Find a PE Therapist
- Contact Us
- Support Our Work
- Follow Us on Twitter
- Join Us on Facebook
Intensive Training in Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
Intensive Workshop in Prolonged Exposure Therapy for Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
April 24-27, 2017
Co-sponsored by: Philadelphia Behavior Therapy Association
Who may attend: Licensed mental health professionals or those working under a licensed mental health professional. Because of the advanced nature of this workshop and the limited enrollment, participants should have prior experience treating trauma survivors.
Dates: Monday, April 24, 2017 – Thursday, April 27, 2017
Times: 9:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday-Wednesday (8:30 am for check-in and continental breakfast)
9:00 am to 4:00 pm Thursday (8:30 am for check-in and continental breakfast)
Cost: $1500.00 per person. This fee covers the cost of workshop and supporting materials (Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD: Emotional Processing of Traumatic Experiences [Foa, Hembree, & Rothbaum, 2007], Reclaiming Your Life from a Traumatic Experience: Workbook [Rothbaum, Foa, & Hembree, 2007], and a workshop binder which includes all slide handouts and materials)
Sheraton Hotel – University City
3549 Chestnut Street
Workshop Description: Faculty from the Center for the Treatment & Study of Anxiety will provide intensive instruction in the use of Prolonged Exposure Therapy for survivors of trauma, covering the basics of all components of PE and how to modify PE procedures in order to tailor the treatment to the client’s response to exposure. Maintaining focus on treatment of PTSD while maintaining flexibility in following the manual will be emphasized. Lecture, discussion, videotaped therapy sessions, and participant role plays with feedback from faculty trainers are used to accomplish the goals of the workshop.
At the end of this workshop, participants should be able to:
- Describe the diagnosis and psychopathology of PTSD
- Discuss emotional processing theory as it relates to Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
- Discuss empirically-supported, psychotherapeutic treatments for chronic PTSD and the comparative efficacy of these treatment approaches
- Explain how clients can be helped to emotionally engage in and process traumatic memories, with the aim of reducing trauma-related symptoms and difficulties
- Implement psychoeducational treatment components of Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
- Construct an in-vivo exposure hierarchy that includes a range of situations that safely and effectively promote learning while expanding the client’s world.
- Implement in-vivo exposure to safe but avoided trauma reminders with patients
- Help patients choose an appropriate index trauma to focus on in Prolonged Exposure Therapy for PTSD
- Conduct imaginal exposure to memories of traumatic events
- Choose hot spots with patients and implement hot spots procedures
- Identify and address avoidance in PE sessions
- Identify and address over- and under-engagement in imaginal exposure
Continuing Education Credit: Philadelphia Behavior Therapy Association (PBTA) is approved by the American Psychological Association to provide continuing education credits for licensed psychologists and Pennsylvania social workers. Other licensed professionals should confirm with their respective licensing boards that CE activities in compliance with the American Psychological Association’s standards for continuing education credits are acceptable. PBTA maintains responsibility for the program.
This workshop is approved for 24 credit hours. In order to receive continuing education credits, participants must:
If all of these requirements are met, you will receive a continuing education certificate at the end of the workshop.
Click here to see a sample agenda for the workshop.
Where to Stay
There are several options for local housing. For more information click here.
Download the information and application form for the Fall 2016 workshop in one of the below formats:
Instructions for Submitting Application
Application forms can be submitted to:
Center for the Treatment and Study of Anxiety
Attn: April PE Workshop
University of Pennsylvania
3535 Market Street, Suite 600 North
Philadelphia, PA 19104-3309
Email (as a Microsoft Word or PDF attachment): email@example.com
You will receive a confirmation via email if your application is accepted. Please do not make travel or other arrangements until your registration is confirmed. Note that we can only reserve your space when you provide payment information or a check.
- Full payment of $1500 is due by April 3, 2017.
- Workshop fees are non-refundable after the April 3, 2017. Please note that payments will not be processed until after this date.
- We accept checks, money orders, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa. Unfortunately, we do not accept American Express.
- If paying by check, please make check or money order payable to “CPUP (Clinical Practices of the University of Pennsylvania”
Click for more information about Prolonged Exposure Therapy
Back to Top