Cultural Affinity Groups
In addition to academic life, an important aspect of the medical school experience should be participation in campus and/or medically related organizations. There are numerous activities here at Perelman – ranging from membership in the American Medical Association to participation in the annual medical school production Spoof. As part of its mission, PDI supports student-led cultural affinity groups.
Please click on each group's name to expand and find out more details.
Asian Pacific American Medical Student Association (APAMSA)
APAMSA is dedicated to promoting awareness and service for Asian/Pacific Islander (API) health care issues. We organize events and talks to educate students on health challenges specific to API communities, and provide opportunities to get involved with service in often overlooked API communities in Philadelphia through participation in flu clinics, hepatitis B screenings, and Unity Clinic, a free clinic serving Indonesian immigrants in South Philadelphia. We hope that through our efforts, our classmates will be better equipped to understand, serve, and advocate for API patients and communities.
Our secondary focus is to support API medical students by providing contacts and sessions dedicated to the experience of APIs in the medical profession, opportunities to network with API medical students from other medical schools, and events to promote API culture for the medical school. It is our goal to support the development of API doctors and leaders in medicine.
2017 APAMSA Leadership:
Caritas is Perelman’s Catholic student group. Our mission is to offer fellowship within the school while exploring how Catholic thought influences our lives and our practices as budding physicians. To this end, we host events including lunch and dinner talks and get together regularly for Sunday dinners after mass. Caritas is building a network of students and Catholic physicians who are available to offer guidance and mentorship. We encourage interested students of all creeds to reach out to us for more information and to see how they may get involved.
2017 Caritas Leadership:
Elizabeth Blackwell Society (EBS)
EBS seeks to inspire, empower, and connect women in medicine. EBS is a student run group dedicated to highlighting the accomplishments of women in medicine, providing tools and support for women to address the unique challenges they face in medicine and challenges that disproportionately affect women, and fostering relationships between faculty and students. We also seek to build a relationship with our surrounding communities to empower young women to pursue careers in medicine and STEM.
2017 EBS Leadership:
- Operations Chair: Anjali Agarwalla, MS1
- Community Outreach Chair: Saisai Chen, MS1
- Education Chair: Danielle Reny, MS1
- Mentorship Chair: Jackie Rosenthal, MS1
- Diversity Chair: Ally Wang, MS1
Latino Medical Student Association (LMSA)
Keep up with the Perelman chapter of LMSA by liking us on Facebook.
The Latino Medical Student Association is a national student-run organization founded to represent, support, educate, and unify Latino medical students. Like the national organization, our local our Penn Med chapter has the following mission to:
- Recruit Latinos into higher education
- Develop a Latino High School Mentoring Program pairing Latino high school students with Penn Med Latino medical students
- Serve as a support network for Latino students
- Advocate for increased Latino representation in health professions
- Participate in the recruitment of underrepresented minority students to Penn Med
- Work closely with the Student National Medical Association to foster a community of color at the University of Pennsylvania
- Educate the public and one another about Latino heath issues which we do, in part, by assisting in health care delivery at a free clinic for Latino immigrants, Puentes de Salud
- Promote awareness of social, political and economic issues as they relate to Latino health which we do during Latino Heritage Month (September 15-October 15)
- Assist in the organization of the Medical Spanish courses designed for Perelman medical students wanting to learn Spanish
2017 LMSA Leadership
- Co-Chairs: Sourik Beltran, MS1 and Lauren Davis, MS1
- Academic/Mentorship Chair: Daniel Arenas, MS1
- Social Chair: Alejandro Cazzulino, MS1
- Recruitment Co-Chairs: Alyssa Civantos, MS1 and Juan Serna, MS1
- Community Outreach and Public Relations Chair: Sofia Gomez, MS1
- Secretary and DISAC Liaison: Naomi Gutkind, MS1
- Treasurer: Lauren Johnson, MS1
- Alumni Relations Chair: Julian Lejbman, MS1
- Continuing Education Chair: Nahara Saballos, MS1
The mission of “Maimo” is to provide a framework for Jewish life at Perelman. We collaborate with other graduate schools, the Lubavitch House, and Hillel at Penn to host social events. We also host educational events that cover topics at the intersection of Judaism and medicine. We’re happy to answer all your questions about kosher food options, religious services, and the Philly Jewish social scene. We welcome students of all levels of religious observance!
2017 Maimonides Society Leadership
Penn LGBTQ People in Medicine + Allies
Follow us on Facebook!
LGBTQPM+ is Penn Med’s lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer student and student allies organization. Our group of LGBTQ students and allies is committed to increasing visibility of LGBTQ people at Penn Med; educating the Penn Med community about LGBTQ health best practices through speaker series and curriculum development; promoting LGBTQ-health related community outreach; providing opportunities for professional development; and cultivating our vibrant community of LGBTQ students, faculty, staff and allies at Penn Med.
2017 LGBTQPM+ Leadership:
- Co-Chairs: Julian Lejbman, MS1 and Laura Neubauer, MS1
- Academic Chair: Kate Hutchison, MS1
- Recruitment Co-Chairs: Lanair Lett, MS1
- Diversity & Inclusion Student Advisory Committee Liaison: Emily Rider-Longmaid, MS1
- Community Outreach Chair: David Roberts, MS1
- Mentoring Chair: Phil Williams, MS1
Penn Med Christian Fellowship (PMCF)
PMCF is a student-run organization at Penn for Christians of ALL backgrounds and for those interested in Christianity. We have weekly meetings and organize opportunities for community service and mentorship with Christian doctors and healthcare professionals.
2017 PMCF Leadership
Penn Med Veterans
Penn Med Veterans is an opportunity for fellowship for veterans in Penn Medicine. This group works to: inform all medical students of veterans' perspectives and challenges within the VA health system and within society in general; engage in community service aimed at local veterams in need; assist potential student veterans with transitioning to medical school and understand the government and other resources available to them to support their education; and network with veterans in the Penn Med alumni network and medical community at large.
South Asian Medical Student Association (SAMoSA)
SAMoSA strives to strengthen the South Asian community amongst medical students, undergraduates, residents, and physicians at Perelman, increase awareness of South Asian health issues in the Penn community and Philadelphia, and strengthen South Asian collaboration across multiple Penn graduate programs.
2017 SAMoSA Leadership
Student National Medical Association (SNMA)
The Student National Medical Association (SNMA) is the nation's oldest and largest national student-run organization focused on the needs and concerns of medical students of color. SNMA programs are designed to serve the health needs of underserved communities and communities of color. SNMA is also dedicated to ensuring that medical education and services are culturally sensitive to the needs of diverse populations, and to increasing the number of underrepresented minorities succeeding in medical school.
The goals of the University of Pennsylvania chapter of SNMA are:
- To conduct heath fairs and health screenings in underserved minority communities in Philadelphia and suburbs
- To sponsor informational programs which educate minority youth about the medical school application and admissions process
- To serve as mentors to younger students who aspire to go to medical school
- To participate in the recruitment of underrepresented minority applicants to the Perelman School of Medicine
- To serve as informal peer academic advisors to other enrolled Penn Med students
- To sponsor Black History Month activities and presentations for our medical school
- To promote residency training programs at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
2017 SNMA Leadership
- Co-Chairs: Funmi Adetunji, MS1 and Kristina Dortche, MS1
- Recruitment Co-Chairs: Dolly Adelekun, MS1; Lanair Lett, MS1; and Whitney Orji, MS1
- Social Chair: Daniel Akuma, MS1
- Media Chair: Hannah Elmongy, MS1
- Community Service Co-Chairs: Elaine Hong, MS1; Bianca Nfonoyim, MS1; and Joy Obayemi, MS1
- Secretary: Elaine Hong, MS1
- Treasurer: Naveen Jain, MS1
- Diversity & Inclusion Student Advisory Committee Liaison: Lanair Lett, MS1
- Academic (MAPS and AMP) Chair: Alex Miller, MS1 and Dayo Osuntokun, MS1