The Emergency Medicine Interest Group (EMIG)
was formed as a resource for University of Pennsylvania
medical students considering Emergency Medicine as a career.
Some of our stated goals include:
- Introducing medical students to the field of Emergency
- Offering school-wide lectures and presentations on
medical topics related to EM that are not included in Penn's curriculum. (e.g.
wilderness medicine, toxicology).
- Providing clinical exposure for medical students in
Modules One and Two through shadowing experiences in the
Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) and Childrens
Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) ED.
- Encouraging and developing student interest in EM through
intimate discussion groups, including monthly case conferences
and an EM resident/medical student mentoring program.
- Providing guidance through the emergency medicine residency
- Serving as a liason for possible research projects.
- Educating our local medical community about the important role of the Emergency Physician in the hospital