- Cell specific deletion of COX-2 and atherosclerosis in mice. Circulation 121:2654-2660
- Prostaglandin F²α elevates blood pressure and promotes atherogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci 106: 7985-7990
- Molecular Clocks
- Elucidating the network structures of the mammalian circadian clock underlying robustness. PLoS Biology 7(3)
- Circadian variation in blood pressure and the vascular response to asynchronous stress. Proc Natl Acad Sci 104: 3450-3455>
- Circadian clocks and vascular function. Circ. Res. 106(5):833-41
- Skills in Translational Medicine and Therapeutics for Efficient Drug Development Science Trans. Med. 2(26):26cm12
Our laboratory has two areas of interest – prostanoid biology and the role of peripheral molecular clocks in cardiovascular biology, metabolism and aging. Perhaps the distinguishing feature of our groups is that we pursue interdisciplinary translational science with a focus on therapeutics. Thus, we work in different model systems – mammalian cells, worms, fish and mice – but also in humans. Ideally we develop quantitative approaches that can be projected from our experiments in the model systems to guide elucidation of drug action in humans. To this end, we have long utilized mass spectrometry, initially to target the arachidonate derived lipidome, but more latterly also the proteome. These approaches generate lots of data and we have for years now integrated directly in the group statisticians and bioinformaticians.
More than 120 postdoctoral trainees have passed through this laboratory in the thirty years of its existence. Roughly half are M.D.s or M.D. – Ph.D.s and of the former group roughly half have never been in a laboratory before. Graduates of the program have moved on to faculty and administrative roles in academia, scientific appointments in pharma and biotech, jobs in funding bodies and the financial sector. The laboratory is heavily biased towards postdocs but there are usually 2 or 3 graduate students in the group as well.
If you want a training experience that blends the rigor of basic science with the relevance to human health of clinical research, this is the place for you.