Penn offers great perks!
Here are just a few.
- Amazon Shipping at Penn: Do you know about this great Penn perk? It's a convenient and secure location for faculty and staff to pick up and return Amazon orders. Urban living is easier when you can count on online orders. You can activate the resource today with your Penn account.
- Cell Phone Service: Cingular Wireless, Nextel, and Verizon Wireless offer discounts on cellular service plans and phones.
- Computers: The Penn community receives an academic discount at the Computer Connection.
- Emergency Ride Home: In the event of an unexpected personal or family emergency, unexpected illness, unscheduled overtime or if the regular ride home is not available for certain reasons, registered commuters are provided with an emergency ride their home, car or the place of the emergency.
- Free Movie Rentals: You are allowed to borrow up to 4 movies at a time for 7 days each Van Pelt Library. Tip: Browse the online catalog before you go.
- Ryan Hospital at Penn Vet: offers all Penn faculty and staff a 20% discount off hospital services and substantial discounts through the Ryan Hospital's Primary Care Service. They also offer a drop-off service for pets to minimize work-day interruptions.
- Septa Pass Perks: Septa offers discounts and other perks in and around Philadelphia (for weekly or monthly SEPTA Pass only).
- YouDecide@Penn: YouDecide is a portal offering Penn faculty and staff access to hundreds of discounts from local and national providers on goods and services. Providers include arts and cultural organizations, florists, apparel, entertainment, insurance products, home improvement, and many others
Do you know about Penn's Nursing Mothers Program?
- Plan Document
- Where to Find On-Campus Nursing and Lactation Space
- Creating Nursing and Lactation Space
- Tips from CHOP for Nursing Mothers Returning to Work
- Resources for Nursing Mothers
Introduction to the Wellness Initiative and Lactation Program
Child and Elder Care
Penn’s Backup Care program can help when your babysitter cancels at the last minute, your child has a school holiday or inservice, an elderly parent is visiting and can’t be left alone, or your spouse/partner needs assistance after surgery. Through our partnership with Care.com BackupCare, you can have temporary backup care in your home, at an out-of-town business location or at an adult relative’s residence any time (day or night, seven days a week, including holidays) from a caregiver who meets your family’s specific needs and expectations.
The University of Pennsylvania's child care center is for children ages three months to five years. Located on the University campus, the Center is administered by the Department of Business Services at Penn. Enrollment in the Penn Children's Center is open to all members of the University and surrounding communities with preference given to faculty, staff and students of the University. Penn Children's Center is one of the few centers in the area accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC).
Penn's Children's Center provides child care support for children ages three months to five years.
Penn’s Summer Programs for Kids offer an array of summer activities for children and teens.
School Strike and Closing Guidance provides resources to help parents in the event of a school strike or closing.
Snow Day Child Care provides all-day care for children of Penn faculty and staff members when the University is open but Philadelphia public schools are closed due to inclement weather. Children ages 12 weeks to 12 years are eligible for the program, whether they attend a Philadelphia district school or not.
Schools and Neighborhoods
Congratulations! You've decided on Penn. We welcome you and want you to know there are many benefits and resources to being a faculty member at the Perelman School of Medicine. The first step is relocating, which may involve extended stay or temporary housing, especially if you are relocating a family. We hope these options help you find the best option for you and/or your family.
Short Term Housing
Often a move involves short-term stay housing. Philadelphia has many preferred hotels. These local accommodations represent only those that accept Penn POs/direct billing to your hiring department.
- Club Quarters
- Hampton by Hilton
- The Logan Curio Collection (Hilton)
- Palomar Philadelphia
- The Rittenhouse
- The Study
Public, Private, and Independent Schools
The links below will connect you with sites containing information on school systems in the Penn Medicine vicinity.
- The School District of Philadelphia
- The School District of Havertown Township
- Lower Merion School District
- Radnor Township School District
- Germantown Friends School
- William Penn Charter School
Relocating Your Family
The University of Pennsylvania’s 299-acre urban campus is located in the West Philadelphia neighborhood known as University City, just across the Schuylkill River from Center City, Philadelphia. There are many welcoming and diverse neighborhoods in Philadelphia, from the suburbs to Center City. The resources below will connect you with many neighborhoods and townships throughout the greater Philadelphia region, as well as cities in New Jersey that are a short distance to Penn Medicine.
- Bryn Mawr
- Center City
- Cherry Hill
- Delaware County
- Deptford Township
- Lower Merion Township
- Montgomery County
- Newtown Square