- To support the advancement and leadership of women in academic medicine
- To promote education and research in women’s health and women's careers
FOCUS SUPPORT 2015-2016
- Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
- Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Trustees’ Council of Penn Women
- Anastasia Lyalenko Memorial Fund
- Bertha Dagan Berman
- Grisso Endowment for the Michelle Battistini Fund
- Patricia Kind
- Edna G. Kynett Memorial Foundation
Junior Faculty Investigator Award
|Award Recipients||Request for Applications (most recent)||Application Deadline|
This program provides researchers with seed grants to support pilot research projects in topics relevant to women’s health. Priority is given to preliminary projects with potential for substantial impact on the career development of junior faculty.
FOCUS invites applications from Perelman School of Medicine faculty for intramural Junior Faculty Investigator Awards of $15,000 each to conduct clinical, basic science, or public health research in women’s health. The current RFA is dedicated to research related to women’s cardiovascular health.
WHO CAN APPLY: Eligible persons include men and women who are instructors (excluding instructors who are currently fellows) or assistant professors in any of the four full-time faculty tracks.
PURPOSE: The objective of this program is to enable researchers to conduct pilot research in women's cardiovascular health, including gender-relevant analysis of existing research projects, which can serve as a springboard for further research, publications, collaborations, and larger grant proposals. The current RFA is dedicated to research related to women’s cardiovascular health.
The award supports direct costs of research including data acquisition, laboratory tests, technical assistance, salary, survey costs, or computer time. No indirect costs may be taken from this award. IRB approval is not required prior to submission but must be obtained prior to the start date for the use of funds.
CRITERIA: The award will be based on the following criteria:
- Importance and relevance of the research topic to women’s health (The current RFA is dedicated to research related to women’s cardiovascular health)
- Study design, methodology, and data collection
- Logistics and feasibility
- Potential for impact on investigator’s career including publication and subsequent grant funding
FORMAT: Applications must include all of the following:
- Cover page that includes: project title, investigator's full name, academic degree(s), academic rank, department, division, and contact information (work and mobile phone #s and email). Also include name and contact information of investigator’s primary research mentor(s)
- Abstract, 250-words
- Research proposal, 2 - 5 pages: specific aims, background, methods, statistical analysis/sample size, and timeline that includes IRB submission process (page limit excludes references which may be listed separately)
- Project budget and budget justification (one page)
- Description of current research support
- Investigator's curriculum vitae
- Submission should be emailed as a single pdf file titled as “FOCUSJFI_Your last name_first name.pdf”
DEADLINE: Applications are due Wednesday, September 16, 2015
The expected award start date is November 1, 2015. A one-page progress report will be required six months after award start date. A final report will be due one year from the award start date.
- Award Application-RFA (pdf format)
Please note that the amount and parameters of subsequent cycles of the JFI Award may change.
For more information, please contact: Patricia Scott