- To support the advancement and leadership of women in academic medicine
- To promote education and research in women’s health
FOCUS SUPPORT 2013-2014
- Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania
- Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Trustees’ Council of Penn Women
- Bertha Dagan Berman
- Patricia Kind
- Edna G. Kynett Memorial Foundation
Junior Faculty Investigator Award
|All Award Recipients||Request for Applications (most recent)||Application Deadline|
This program provides researchers with seed grants to support pilot research projects in topics relevant to women’s health. Priority is given to preliminary projects with potential for substantial impact on the career development of junior faculty.
FOCUS invites applications from Perelman School of Medicine faculty for intramural Junior Faculty Investigator Awards of $10,000 each to conduct clinical, basic science, or public health research in women’s health. The current RFA is dedicated to research related to women’s cardiovascular health.
WHO CAN APPLY: Eligible persons include men and women who are instructors (excluding instructors who are currently fellows) or assistant professors in any of the four full-time faculty tracks.
PURPOSE: The objective of this program is to enable researchers to conduct pilot research in women's health, including gender-relevant analysis of existing research projects, which can serve as a springboard for further research, publications, collaborations, and larger grant proposals. The current RFA is dedicated to research related to women’s cardiovascular health.
The award supports direct costs of research including data acquisition, laboratory tests, technical assistance, salary, survey costs, or computer time. No indirect costs may be taken from this award. IRB approval is not required prior to submissions but will be required for the funds to be used.
CRITERIA: The award will be based on the following criteria:
- Importance and relevance of the research topic to women’s health (The current RFA is dedicated to research related to women’s cardiovascular health)
- Study design, methodology, and data collection
- Logistics and feasibility
- Potential for impact on career of junior faculty including publication and subsequent grant funding
FORMAT: Applications must include all of the following:
- Cover page that includes a project title and investigator’s full name, academic degree(s), academic rank, department, division and all contact information [phone, beeper, fax and email, please]
- Abstract, 250-words
- Research proposal, 2 - 5 pages that include: specific aims, background, methods, statistical analysis/sample size, and time line (page limit excludes references which may be listed separately)
- Project budget and budget justification (one page)
- Description of current research support
- Investigator’s curriculum vitae
- 5 additional copies of application materials
DEADLINE: Applications are due Monday, May 13, 2013
The expected award start date is August 1, 2013. A one-page progress report will be required six months after award start date. A final report will be due at award completion or one year after its start date.
- Award Application-RFA (pdf format)
Please note that the parameters of subsequent cycles of the JFI Award may change.
Completed applications should be mailed or hand-delivered (no faxes, please) to:
Patricia Scott , Director of Operations
FOCUS on Health & Leadership for Women
908 Blockley Hall; 423 Guardian Drive Philadelphia, PA 19104-6021
For more information, please contact: Patricia Scott