Women in Gastroenterology
Under the umbrella of the Division of Gastroenterology, we are committed to:
- Recruitment of women to the field of Gastroenterology
- Maintaining women faculty in Gastroenterology
- Career development
- Educating and encouraging research in women's health issues in Gastroenterology
The committee is comprised of faculty from different tracks, including MDs and PhDs, fellows, research staff/students, and ad-hoc non-GI faculty.
Kimberly Forde, MD, MHS, Assistant Professor of Medicine & Epidemiology, Division of Gastroenterology, Senior Scholar, CCEB
- Location: 9 Penn Tower
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact: 215.662.4301
Faten Aberra, MD, MSCE, Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Subspecilaty Interests: Clinical-Educator,
- Clinical: Imflammatory Bowel Disease, Gastrointestinal Infectious Desease, General Gastroenterology
- Clinical Research: Inflammatory Bowel Disease Epidemiology, Natural History and Therapy
- Location: HUP
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: 215.348.8222
Kyong-Mi Chang, MD, Associate Professor of Medicine; University of Pennsylvania and Director, GI/Hepatitis Clinic and GI Research; Philadelphia VAMC
- Subspecialty Interests: Physician Scientist: Translational Research in Viral Hepatitis and Liver Disease, Pathogenesis, Epidemiology/Natural History, Therapy, Viral Immunology, Immune Regulation
- Location: Philadelphia VA Medical Center
- Email: email@example.com
Contact: 215.823.5893, 215.823.5800 x 6730
Kathryn Hamilton, PhD, Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Subspecialty Interests: Intestinal Stem Cells, Colorectal Cancer
- Location: 655 Clinical Research Building
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: 215.898.0157
Marie-Pier Tetreault, PhD, Research Associate
- Subspeciality Interests: Esophageal squamous cell carcinoma, reflux esophagitis, tumor microenvironment, angiogenesis, inflammation
- Location: 909 Biomedical Research Building, II/III
- Email: email@example.com
- Contact: 215.573.1866
Kelly A. Whelan, PhD, Postdoctoral Researcher
- Subspeciality Interests: esophageal squamous cell carcinoma, eosinophilic esophagitis, autophagy, cancer stem cells.
- Location: 946 Biomedical Research Building, II/III
- Enail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact: 215.573.1867
University of Pennsylvania Resources
- University of Pennsylvania Human Resources
- Graduate Medical Education Policies
- Changing the Face of Medicine: Celebrating America's Women Physicians
- American Medical Women's Association
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Women in Medicine
- Society for Women's Health Research
- ACG Women Committee Resources (need to be a memeber to access)
- AGA Career Advisory Program
- Association for Women in Science
- ACG, Pregnancy Monograph: www.acg.gi.org/physicians/pdfs/PregnancyMonograph.pdf
Balancing Family and Work:
- Verlander G. Female Physicians. Balancing Career and Family. Academic Psychiatry; Dec 2004, (28): 331-336.
- Carnes M. Balancing Family and Career - Advice from the Teachers. Annals of Internal Medicine; Oct 1996, 125(7): 618-620.
- Spickard A, Gabbe SG, Christensen JF. Mid-Career Burnout in Generalist and Specialist Physicians. JAMA; Sept 25, 2002, 288(12): 1447-1450.
- Sotile WM, Sotile MO. Beyond Physician Burnout: Keys to Effective Emotional Management. Journal of Medical Practice management; May-June 2003, 18(6): 314-318.
- Robinson GE. Stresses on Women Physicians. Consequences and Coping Techinques. Depression and Anxiety; 2003, 17(3): 180-189.
- Linzer M, Visser M, Oort FJ, et al. Predicting and Preventing Physician Burnout: Results from the United States and the Netherlands. The American Journal of Medicine; Aug 2001, 111(2): 170-175.
- Gundersen L. Physician Burnout. Annals of Internal Medicine; July 2001, 135(2): 145-148.
- Burnout and Suicidal Ideation Amoung U.S. Medical Students. Annals of Internal Medicine; Sept 2008, 149(5): 334-341.
Women in Medicine, Science, Leadership and Equality in the Workplace:
- Untapped potential in the study of negotiation and gender inequality in organizations. Bowles and McGinn 2008
- NASPA Journal about women in higher education. Compton and Palmer 2009 p167.
- Women and the labyrinth of leadership. Eagly 2007.
- Resource highlights. FINAL annotated contents.
- The doctor-nurse relationship: How easy is it to be a female doctore co-operating with a femal nurse? Gjerberga and Kjolsrod 2001.
- Women and the vision thing. Ibarra and Obodaru 2009.
- Defining, navigating and negotiating success. Kalet et. al. 2006.
- Negotiation in academic medicine. A necessary career skill. sarfaty et al 2007.
- Who goes to the bargaining table? The influence of gender and framing on the initiation of negotiation. Small et. al. 2007.
- Negotiating workplace equality: A systemic approach. Sturm 2009.
- Negotiation. thompson Wang and Gunia 2010
Friedman SD. Total Leadership, Be a Better Leader, Have a Richer Life. Harvard Business Press 2008.