Key Constructs of the Precaution Adoption Process Model
The PAPM identifies seven stages along the path from lack of awareness to action.
- Unaware of Issue: If people have never heard of a hazard or its potential precaution, they cannot have formed opinions about it.
- Unengaged by Issue: People have learned about the precaution behavior but haven't considered whether they need to do anything about it.
- Undecided about Acting: The decision-making stage, where people have become engaged and are considering their response.
- Decided not to Act: Halting the precaution adoption process
- Decided to Act: Adopting a precaution
- Acting: Initiating the behavior
- Maintenance: Maintaining the behavior over time