Activities in this section are designed to aid instructors seeking to further reinforce social networks and social support concepts.
Assign an article exploring relationships between social networks and/or social support and health. Next, students should:
- Explain which pathway is under investigation
- Critique the study design and provide ways that the design could be improved.
Allow students to select a health topic (about which they are knowledgeable). Next, instruct students generate hypotheses, as well as corresponding study designs, to test each hypothesized pathway in the social networks and social support model.
Assign the following practical application questions to be discussed in small groups or with the entire class:
- How can intervention developers create programs that help participants identify potential opportunities for social support?
- How can intervention developers create programs that teach participants to build social networks?
- How do health educators equip counselors, case workers, practitioners, etc. define and recognize socially supportive relationships in a client's life?