Founded as the Institute of Neurological Sciences in 1953 by the visionary professor of Anatomy, Dr. Louis Flexner, our Institute was renamed in 1985 to reflect the keen interest and support that corporate magnate David Mahoney brought to neuroscience. Throughout our history, we have emphasized and nurtured the idea that major advances in brain research would require the expertise, dedication, and cooperation of scientists from many fields of research. Once a novel approach, such cross-campus, cross-disciplinary research and training have become the template for neuroscience at academic institutions around the world. Today, our scientists study cellular and molecular aspects of the brain; development, regeneration, and plasticity; systems neuroscience; behavior and cognition; the pathology of brain disease; and computational neuroscience. Our ranks include over 150 faculty from 32 departments in six schools, including Arts and Sciences, Dental Medicine, Engineering and Applied Sciences, Medicine, Nursing, and Veterinary Medicine, and The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. We continue to forge ahead with the spirit that has put the Institute at the forefront of neuroscience research and training since its founding.
MINS founded and continues to provide substantial support for the Neuroscience Graduate Group (NGG), Penn's award-winning doctoral program in neuroscience.
MINS also is closely affiliated with the Penn Medicine Neuroscience Center (PMNC), a more clinically oriented Center focused on understanding and treating diseases of the brain, spine, and peripheral nervous system.