Welcome to the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine (SOM) Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender People in Medicine Plus (LGBTPM +) Faculty-Staff Website.
About the group:
Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender People in Medicine is the name of an active advocacy committee within the national American Medical Student Association.
Penn's chapter of the student group voted to add "Plus" to the end of the name to include "allies" (non-LGBT individuals who are supportive) and people who self-identify in other ways and feel a connection to the group's mission. A faculty and staff committee has now formed to work closely with the students, and to address additional issues. We meet approxiately once a month to discuss issues and plan events.
The goals of this site are to:
- Foster connections among LGBT faculty, staff and students within the School of Medicine, and to create stronger LGBT communities and resources at multiple levels throughout the School, the University and the Health System
- Engage more faculty and staff in interactions with students in the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender People in Medicine Plus (LGBTPM+) group
- With LGBTPM+, educate the medical community about the unique health concerns of LGBT patients and raise awareness within the LGBT community
- Increase the visibility of SOM LGBT faculty and staff issues
- Provide resources to SOM LGBT faculty and staff and individuals considering employment in the School of Medicine
- Enlist the help of allies (non-LGBT individuals) who want to help
If you are interested in becoming involved in these efforts, or if you have suggestions for the website, please contact us.
Past events include:
- A faculty/staff and student Winter Mixer at the home of one of our faculty in January '10.
- Annual symposia (April 2008, April 2009 and April 2010): Toward Higher Standards - Issues Regarding Sexual Orientation in the Academic Health Care Environment. For more details about the 2008 event, featuring guest speaker Dr. Sallyann Bowman, click here. The 2009 event included a keynote address by Dr. Kate O'Hanlan - for more info click here. Info on the 3rd symposium and A. Robinson Williams here.
- A "fall kick-off mixer" in Nov '08 for LGBT faculty and staff, allies and friends, co-sponsored with the School of Nursing, and a similar event in Nov '09.
- A panel discussion on Quality of Life in Academic Medicine: Issues of Sexual Orientation, sponsored by FOCUS on Health and Leadership for Women (April 2007).
If you have experienced discrimination or the threat of discrimination based on sexual orientation or gender identity and would like to discuss the situation confidentially, please contact one of the individuals at the link above and/or contact Victoria A. Mulhern, Executive Director, Faculty Affairs and Professional Development at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or see the Links of Interest page for additional resources.