University of Pennsylvania / School of Medicine / Beers Lab
Deepika Jain, Ph.D.
University of Pennsylvania Medical Center
Pulmonary, Allergy & Critical Care Division
Vernon and Shirley Hill Pavilion
380 S. University Ave.
Philadelphia, PA 19104-4539
Telephone: (215) 746-2920
Fax: (215) 573-4469
- Ph. D. Faculty of Medical Sciences, Delhi University, Delhi, 2001
- Post –doctoral Fellowship. Pulmonary Biology, Institute for Environmental Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA; 2001-2003
- Post –doctoral Fellowship. Pulmonary Biology, Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA; 2003-2006
Deepika Jain, Ph.D., is a Research Associate at the Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care Division (PACCD) of the Department of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania.
Dr Jain received her Ph.D. in Medical Biochemistry in 2001 from Vallabhbhai Patel Chest Institute, Delhi University, Delhi, India. Following her post doctoral training at the University of Pennsylvania, she was appointed as a Research Associate in Dr. Beers’ laboratory in 2006.
Pulmonary surfactant Protein D (SP-D) is a 43KDa hydrophilic surfactant protein, known to play an important immunomodulatory role in the lung. Dr Jain’s work focuses on understanding the role of SP-D in lung function and in resolving acute lung inflammation caused by exposure to hyperoxia or direct instillation of LPS and zymosan in mice. In her recent work using SP-D transgenic mouse models either lacking, or over-expressing SP-D, she has shown an important regulatory effect of SP-D in maturation and activation of alveolar macrophages in naïve mice. Studies are underway to define signaling pathways influenced by SP-D in defining macrophage phenotype, recruitment and activation in the alveoli as a result of a pro-inflammatory stimulus.
- Amrani Y, Syed F, Huang C, Li K, Liu V, Deepika Jain, Keslacy S, Baidouri H, Cooper PR, Zhao H, Siddiqui S, Brightling CE, Griswold D, Li L and Panettieri RA Jr. Expression and activation of the oxytocin receptor in airway smooth muscle cells: Regulation by TNFα and IL-13. Respiratory Research (2010), 11 (1), 104.
- Bhandary YP, Velusamy T, Shetty PK, Shetty RS, Deepika Jain, Idell S, Cines DB, Bdeir K, Abraham E, Tsuruta Y and Shetty S. Posttranslational regulation of uPAR expression in lipopolysaccaharide-induced acute lung injury. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. (2009), 179(4):288-98.
- Deepika Jain, Etochina-Vasserman EN, Kadire H, Tomer Y, and Beers MF. SP-D Over expression Protects against acute Hyperoxic lung injury in mice. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. (2008), 178(8), 805-13.
- Deepika Jain, Keslacy S, Tliba O, Yang Cao, Kierstein S, Amin K, Panettieri RA Jr., Haczku A and Amrani Y. Essential role of IFN and CD38 in TNFa-induced airway smooth muscle hyper-responsiveness. Immunobiology (2008), 213(6), 499-509.
- Deepika Jain, Etochina-Vasserman EN, Kadire H, Tomer Y, Inch A, Scott P, Savani RC, Gow AJ and Beers MF. SP-D deficient mice are resistant to hyperoxia. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. (2007), 292, L 861-871.
- Kinniry P, Pick J, Stephens S, Deepika Jain, Solomides CC, Niven R, Segal R, and Christofidou-Solomidou M. KL4-Surfactant Prevents Hyperoxic and LPS-Induced Lung Injury in Mice. Pediatric Pulmonology (2006), 41, 916-28.
- Deepika Jain, Dodia C, Fisher AB and Bates SR. Mechanism for uptake and metabolism of surfactant protein-A (SP-A) by the lung. Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. (2005) 289, L 1011-18.
- Deepika Jain, Kim JH, Tliba O, Yang B, Panettieri, RA Jr., Puré E, and Amrani Y. TGF-β1 augments bradykinin-induced contractile response in airway smooth muscle Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. (2005) 289, L511-20.
- Deepika Jain, Chhabra SK, Raj HG. Effects of vitamin E on airway responses and biochemical parameters in guinea pigs sensitized to ovalbumin. Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology (2005), 146, 231-8.