Molecular Biology/Gene Expression Core
Gary Wu, MD
Lab: 933 BRB II/III
The mission of H-MARC is to provide services that will enhance the analysis of both host and microbial biological processes as well as facilitate translation into the clinical arena via human subject research.
Equipment Reservation and Sign-OutClick here to reserve PCR instruments and loan-out items
Image Analysis and Gene Expression Core A number of analytic instruments to qualify and characterize gene expression are available for use. Reservations may be required (see above). Additionally, the Core subsidizes the cost of specific Penn-based technical services to assist Center members in their research projects.
Equipment available in room 933 BRB II/III for use by all Center Members:
- ABI 7000 Sequence Detection System, $25/plate
- ABI StepOne Plus Real-Time PCR System, $25/plate
- Agilent Bioanalyzer (Penn’s Microarray Facility)
- Becton Dickinson Accuri C6 Flowcytometer
- BioRad Gel Doc XR+ Imaging System
- Molecular Dynmaics 840 Phosphoimager
- Odyssey Infrared Imaging System (Li-Cor) $25/use
- Promega GloMax Multi Detection System
- Thermo Scientific Nanodrop 2000 Spectrophotometer
Ancillary equipment available:
- Thermal Cycler (ABI 2720)
- Dissecting Microscope (Olympus)
- Seven -80C Freezers with wireless alarm monitoring
- Polytron PT-10-35 Homogenizer
- MacVector 7.0
- Lasergene 5.0
- Prism 4/6 (Graphpad)
- Chenomx NMR Suite
Microbial Culture and Metabolomics Core
The Microbial Culture and Metabolomics Core features facilities and equipment for the aerobic and anaerobic culture of microbial species in both batch and continuous systems as well as services for both targeted and untargeted metabolomics. The core offers training and usage for all equipment as well as consultation towards experimental design and method development of microbial culture studies. Additionally, the core offers anaerobic culture services.
Equipment and Services Available:
- Anaerobic Chamber (Type B, Coy Labs)
- Automated Biorector (BioFlo 320, Eppendorf)
- Waters Acquity uPLC System with a QDa single quadropole mass detector
- Targeted Metabolomics – bile acids, short chain fatty acids, amino acids, $40/each or $80/all
- Untargeted metabolomics with Metabolon, 5% Discount
Genomic Services Services provided by the Penn Next Generation Sequencing Core and the Penn Molecular Profiling Facility are subsidized by the Core, $1000/investigator/year.
Penn Next Generation Sequencing Core http://www.med.upenn.edu/cores/NextGenerationSequencingCore.html
Penn Microarray Core Facility
Biostatistics and Bioinformatics Biostatistical support for the development of study design and data analysis is available through the Penn Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics (CCEB).
Biostatistian Ann Tierney, MS
Bioinformatics Customized bioinformatic analyses specific to the needs of Project Leaders are available to Center members with a computational biologist with expertise in the analysis of host-microbial interactions through the Penn Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics (CCEB).
Director Hongzhe Li, PhD 215-573-7238
Computational Biologist Yun Li, PhD 215-746-5432
Human Biorepository This biorepository of human digestive tissues has two components, 1) Human RNA Source Bank: A previously established bank of frozen human tissues, many with RNA already isolated, and 2) Annotated Clinical Tissue Bank: Biospecimens with robust clinical metadata from prospectively consented human subjects are archived and tracked with 2-D barcodes logged into the LabVantage Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS).