Events for 2012 - 2013
- PhD preliminary exam practice talks, May 13, 3:30pm, 1101 BRB
- PhD preliminary exam practice talks, April 29, 10am, Johnson Pavilion 150-154
- Happy Hour with applicants at Penn Preview, April 25, 6:30pm, 252 BRB
- Informal discussion with Susan Smyth, MD, PhD, MD-PhD Director and Chief of Cardiology, University of Kentucky, April 2, 11 - 11:30am, 1101 BRB
- Informal discussion with Mignon Loh, MD, Professor of Clinical Pediatrics at UCSF, February 5, 2:30 - 3:30pm, 1001 BRB
- WMPSA Happy Hour at Distrito, January 14, 5pm
- Dinner and discussion with AWSM: Triumphs and Pitfalls for Women Physician-scientists,
December 6, 6 - 7pm, 251 BRB
- Chalk talks, November 19, 12 - 1:30pm
- Potluck and screening of documentary Miss Representation, October 13, 7pm
- Welcome potluck, September 15, 7pm
- Fall Planning Meeting, September 7, 1pm
- WMPSA Happy Hour at New Deck, August 28, 5pm
Events held in 2011 - 2012 included:
- Informal discussion with Susan Dymecki, MD, PhD, Professor of Genetics at Harvard, March 5, 5:15pm, 1101 BRB
- WMPSA Happy Hour at Distrito, Tuesday, January 24, 5:30 - 7pm
- WMPSA Women physician scientist panel event: "Triumphs and Pitfalls", Tuesday, January 10, 5:30 - 6:30pm, Student Lounge - 213 Stemmler Hall
- PGWISE Discussion Event and Lunch: Is Science Gendered? December 14, 12-1:30pm, Penn Women's Center at 3643 Locust Walk
- PGWISE bookclub: "A PhD is Not Enough: A Guide to Survival in Science.", December 8, 6pm in 315 Levine and December 14, 5:30pm in 315 Levine
- WMPSA Happy Hour at Tinto, December 6, 5pm-7pm
- Penn Forum for Women Faculty Event: "Removing the Gender Hurdles that Hinder the Pace and Success of Women in Higher Education," led by Geraldine Richmond, November 17, 3:30pm
- Fall Planning Meeting, September 21, 4pm
- Penn Graduate Women in Science & Engineering (PGWISE) BBQ, August 17, 5-7pm
- WMPSA welcomes the first year MSTP women: happy hour at the Penn Museum summer nights music series, August 10, 6 - 8pm
Events held in 2010 - 2011 included:
- WMPSA dim sum social at Joy Tsin Lau, June 12, 11am
- Penn Graduate Women in Science and Engineering (PGWISE) bookclub. “Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office: 101 Unconscious Mistakes Women Make That Sabotage Their Careers.” May 9, 5:30pm (Levine 512) and May 10, 6pm (Levine 307)
- Happy Hour with applicants at Penn Preview - April 28
- Seminar and interactive workshop by Valerie Young, Ed.D. -“How to Feel As Bright and Capable As Everyone Seems to Think You Are: What Every Woman and Man Needs to Know About Competence, the Impostor Syndrome, and the Art of Winging It.” April 12, 4- 6:15 pm (Chemistry Building, Room 102)
- Penn Graduate Women in Science and Engineering (PGWISE) Alumnae-Student Luncheon, March 26, 12-2pm, Hall of Flags, Houston Hall
Online registration is required or email your name, graduate program, and school to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Informal discussion with Lucy Godley, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Medicine at University of Chicago, March 14, 11-11:45am, BRB 1201
- Steering Committee Meeting, February 23, 1-2pm, BRB 1412
- Happy Hour at City Tap House, February 16, 5pm-7pm
- Informal Q&A discussion with a panel of women physician-scientist faculty.
"What NOT to do setbacks for women physician-scientists"
January 11, 5-6pm, Medical Student Lounge.
- Penn Graduate Women in Science and Engineering (PGWISE) bookclub
“The Madame Curie Complex: The Hidden History of Women in Science.”
January 10 and 18, 5pm.
- Happy Hour at Biba, December 13, 5:30pm-7:30pm
- Happy Hour at Landmark Americana, October 12, 5pm-7pm
- Happy Hour at World Café Live, September 1, 5pm-7pm
- Committee mtg to plan for the upcoming year will be scheduled for later this month. Stay tuned for more details about 2010-2011 events!
Events held in 2009-2010 included:
- Women's MD-PhD Student Social - August 24, 5pm-7pm – Happy Hour at World Café Live
- Informal discussion with Dr. Betsy Nabel, Director of the NHLBI, regarding issues facing women physician scientists – September 22, 3:30-4:30 – prior to her talk for the wider community at 5:00.
- Finding the Mentors You Need: A Perspective from Both Sides of the Table – October 21, 5:30-7:00 – sponsored by Graduate Medical Education (GME) and FOCUS on Health & Leadership for Women www.focusprogram.org. Special arrangements were made to include women MD-PhD students, and online registration is required.
- Women’s MD-PhD Student Dinner on December 15th.
- Happy Hour with applicants April 22
- Discussion of the book Women Don't Ask June 8
- Informal discussion with program alum Jeannie T. Lee, MD, Phd on June 21st, prior to her talk for the Cell and Develomental Bio Seminar Series. More info about Dr. Lee at http://www.hhmi.org/research/investigators/lee_bio.html