Charles C. Clark, Ph.D.Associate Professor of Orthopaedic Research
Associate Professor of Biochemistry and Biophysics
Ph.D. Biochemistry 1970, Northwestern University
B.A. Chemistry 1965, Gannon University
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Biochemistry of connective tissues
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTEREST
Structure and synthesis of collagens and proteoglycans with particular emphasis on cartilage, bone, ligament, tendon and muscle
- Richardson, D.W. and Clark, C.C.: Biochemical changes in articular cartilage opposing full- and partial-thickness cartilage lesions. Amer. J. Vet. Res. 51:118-122, 1990.
- Clark, C.C., Richards, C.F. and Iozzo, R.V.: Posttranslational alterations in newly synthesized cartilage proteoglycans induced by the glutamine analogue 6-diazo-5-oxo-L-norleucine. Time course of inhibition and recovery. Biochem. J. 273:283-288, 1991.
- Clark, C.C., Tolin, B.S. and Brighton, C.T.: The effect of oxygen tension on proteoglycan synthesis and aggregation in mammalian growth plate chondrocytes. J. Orthop. Res. 9:477-484, 1991.
- Richardson, D.W. and Clark, C.C.: Proteoglycan synthesis and content in normal equine articular cartilage and cartilage repair tissue. Amer. J. Vet. Res. 52:1004-1009, 1991.
- Brighton, C.T., Schaffer, J.L., Shapiro, D.B., Tang, J.J.S. and Clark, C.C.: Proliferation and macromolecular synthesis by rat calvarial bone cells grown in various oxygen tensions. J. Orthop. Res. 9:847-854, 1991.
- Brighton, C.T., Okereke, E., Pollack, S.R. and Clark, C.C.: In vitro bone cell response to a capacitively coupled electrical field: The role of field strength, pulse pattern, and duty cycle. Clin. Orthop. Related Res. 285:255-262, 1992.
- Richardson, D.W. and Clark, C.C.: The effects of cast-immobilization on equine articular cartilage. Amer. J. Vet. Res. 54:449-453, 1993.
- Clark, C.C., Cohen, I., Eichstetter, I., Cannizzaro, L.A., McPherson, J.D., Wasmuth, J.J. and Iozzo, R.V.: Molecular cloning of the human proto-oncogene Wnt-5A and mapping of the gene to chromosome 3p14-p21. Genomics 18:249-260, 1993.
- Clark, C.C., Iannotti, J.P., Misra, S. and Richards, C.F.: The effects of thapsigargin, a calcium-mobilizing agent, on the synthesis and secretion of cartilage collagen and proteoglycan. J. Orthop. Res. 12:601-611, 1994.
- Bulman, W.A., Iannotti, J.P., Glowacki, K., Bleuit, J. and Clark, C.C.: Inflammatory components of serum with calcium-mobilizing activity in the bovine growth plate chondrocyte. J. Orthop. Res. 13:220-229, 1995.
- Jones, A.R., Clark, C.C. and Brighton, C.T.: Microvessel endothelial cells and pericytes increase proliferation and repress osteoblast phenotypic markers in rat calvarial bone cell cultures. J. Orthop. Res. 13:553-561, 1995.
- Chesmel, K.D., Clark, C.C., Brighton, C.T. and Black, J.: Cellular responses to chemical and morphological aspects of biomaterial surfaces. 2. The biosynthetic migratory responses of bone cell populations. J. Biomed. Mater. Res. 29:1101-1110, 1995.
- Myers, J.C., Li, D., Rubinstein, N.A. and Clark, C.C.: Up-regulation of type XIX collagen in rhabdomyosarcoma cells accompanies myogenic differentiation. Exp. Cell Res. 253:587-598, 1999.
- Li, D., Clark, C.C. and Myers, J.C.: Basement membrane zone type XV collagen is a disulfide-bonded chondroitin sulfate proteoglycan in human tissues and cultured cells. J. Biol. Chem. 275:22339-22347, 2000.
- Krupnick, A.S., Zhu, J., Nguyen, T., Kreisel, D., Balsara, K.R., Lankford, E.B., Clark, C.C., Levine, S., Stedman, H.H. and Shrager, J.B.: Inspiratory loading does not accelerate dystrophy in the mdx mouse diaphragm: implications for regenerative therapy. J. Appl. Physiol. 94:411-419, 2003.
- Myers, J.C., Li, D., Amenta, P.S., Clark, C.C., Nagaswami, C. and Weisel, J.W.: Type XIX collagen purified from human umbilical cord is characterized by multiple sharp kinks delineating collagenous subdomains and by intermolecular aggregates via globular, disulfide-linked and heparin-binding amino termini. J. Biol. Chem. 278:in press, 2003.