Nicole BelkinResident, Orthopaedic Surgery
University of Pennsylvania
Port St. Lucie, FL
M.D. University of Florida, 2009
B.S. Health Science, 2005, University of Florida
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTEREST
Orthopaedic Surgery - Arthroscopic, Minimally Invasive Procedures and Cartilage Conservation. Fracture Healing. Biomedical Engineering in Orthopedics.
Personal interests include The Beach, Sports (particularly Rugby), Cooking, and Good Beer.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- 2008, Mark W. Herbold Memorial Award, U of FL COM
- 2005-9, UF COM Class of 2009 Executive Board
- 2005, Suma Cum Laude, University of Florida
- 2005, Academic Excellence Award, U of Fl, College of Health Sciences
- 2004, USA Rugby Collegiate All-American, First Team
- 2004, UF Women's Club Scholarship
- 2004, Outstanding Undergraduate Research Award, University of Florida
- 2004, University Scholars Award for Summer Research
- 2002-4, University of Florida Women's Rugby Team Captain
- Rumore-Maton, B. J. Elf, N. Belkin, B. Stutevoss, F. Seydel, E. Garrigan, S.A. Litherland: M-CSF and GM-CSF Regulation of STAT5Activation and DNA Binding in Myeloid Cell Differentiation is Disrupted in Nonobese Diabetic (NOD) Mice. Clinical & Developmental Immunology Jan: 769-795, 2009
- Seydel, F., E. Garrigan, B. Stutevoss, N. Belkin, B. Makadia, J. Carter, J.-D. Shi, A. Davoodi-Semiromi, M. McDuffie, S. A. Litherland: GM-CSF Induces STAT5 Binding at Epigenetic Regulatory Sites within the Csf2 Promoter of Nonobese Diabetic (NOD) Mouse Myeloid Cells. J Autoimmunity 31(4): 377-384, 2008
- Litherland, S.A., K.M. Grebe, N.S. Belkin, E. Paek, J. Elf, M. Atkinson, L. Morel, M.J. Clare-Salzler, M.J. McDuffie: Nonobese diabetic mouse congenic analysis reveals chromosome 11 locus contributing to diabetes susceptibility, macrophage STAT5 dysfunction, and GM-CSF overproduction. J Immunology. 175(7): 4561-4565, 2005
- Litherland, S.A., T.X. Xie, K.M. Grebe, A. Davoodi-Semiromi, J. Elf, N.S. Belkin, L.L. Moldawer, M.J. Clare-Salzler: Signal Transduction Activator of Transcription 5 (STAT5) Proteins are Dysfunctional in Autoimmune Monocytes & Macrophages. J Autoimmunity. 24: 297-310, 2005
- Garrigan, E, Z. Han, F Seydel, NS Belkin, C Riggs, M Amick, A Cdebaca, T Pilant, R Bober, C Wasserfall, M Atkinson, MJ Clare-Salzler, L Morel, M McDuffie, and S A Litherland. 2010. A Model for Studying the Impact of Nurture on Nature: Development of Diabetes in Multicongenic Mice with an Epigenetic Gene Expression Dysregulation Defect from the Nonobese Diabetic Mouse (NOD); ADA poster presentation, June 2010, Orlando, FL.
- Garrigan, E., F. Seydel, B. Stutevoss, N. Belkin, M. Clare-Salzler, M. Atkinson, L. Yang, A.B. Peck, L. Morel, M. McDuffie, A. Davoodi-Semiromi, and S. A. Litherland. Nonobese Diabetic (NOD) Congenic Mouse Analysis Defines an Idd4.3 Sequence Crucial to GM-CSF Regulation of STAT5 Binding and Associated Epigenetic Changes at the Csf2 and Ptgs2 Regulatory Sequences in Macrophages; Keystone Symposium; Jaks and STATs. Colorado Springs. Jan 2007.
- F. Seydel, E. Garrigan, K. Pauley, B. Stutevoss, N. Belkin, M. McDuffie, L. Yang, L. Morel, and S.A. Litherland: STAT5 Dysfunction in Autoimmune Myeloid Cells; 2006 Gene Expression and Signal Transduction in the Immune System, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory meeting and UF COM Research Day Presentation; April 2006.
- E. Garrigan, F. Seydel, K. Pauley, B. Stutevoss, N. Belkin, M. McDuffie, L. Morel, and S.A. Litherland: GM-CSF Dysregulation of STAT5 in Autoimmune Myeloid Cells; 2006 Gene Expression and Signal Transduction in the Immune System, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory meeting and UF COM Research Day Presentation;. April 2006.
- Belkin, N.S., and S.A. Litherland: PIAS3 & STAT5 Interactions Disrupted in Nonobese Diabetic (NOD) Mice; FASEB/AAI Experimental Biology Conference. San Diego, CA. and UF COM Research Day Presentations; April 2005.
- J. Elf and N. Belkin, B. Rumore-Maton, M. J. Clare-Salzler, M. McDuffie, and S. A. Litherland: Dysregulation of Signal Transduction Activators of Transcription 5 (STAT5) in Autoimmune Type 1 Diabetes (T1D). International FOCIS Meeting, Montreal, Canada. Awarded FOCIS Travel Award for oral & poster presentation; July 2004.