Jonathan A. Kluge, Ph.D.
University of Pennsylvania
Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering 2010, Tufts University, Medford
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering 2005, Tufts University, Medford
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTERESTS
Jon joined the group as a post-doctoral researcher in January 2010. His research is focused on the design of fibrous polymeric scaffolding for enhanced tissue formation and controlled rates of degradation, with particular focus towards the annulus fibrosus of the intervertebral disc.
Jon is Boston sports fan and he enjoys recreational athletics and eating, with or without competitive aspects.
- Lovett M., Eng G., Kluge J.A., Cannizzaro C., Vunjak-Novakovic G., Kaplan D.L. Tubular silk scaffolds for small diameter vascular grafts. Organogenesis. (in press).
- Serban M.A.,Kluge J.A., Laha M.M., Kaplan D.L. Modular Elastic Patches: Mechanical and Biological Effects. Biomacromolecules. (in press).
- Kluge J.A., Thurber A., Leisk G.G., Kaplan D.L., Dorfmann A.L.: A model for the stretch-mediated enzymatic degradation of silk fibers. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 3 (2010), 538-473.
- Rockwood D.N., Gil E.S., Park S.H.,Kluge J.A., Grayson W., Bhumiratana S., Rajkhowa R., Wang X., Kim S.J., Vunjak-Novakovic G., Kaplan D.L. Ingrowth of human mesenchymal stem cells into porous silk particle reinforced silk composite scaffolds: An in vitro study. Acta Biomaterialia (in press).
- Lawrence B.D., Wharram S., Kluge J.A., Leisk G.G., Omenetto F.G., Rosenblatt M.I., Kaplan D.L.: Effect of Hydration on Silk Film Material Properties. Macromolecular Bioscience, 10 (2010), 393-403.
- Lu Q., Hu X., Wang X., Kluge J.A., Lu S., Cebe P., Kaplan D.L.: Water-insoluble silk films with silk I structure. Acta Biomaterialia, 6 (2010) 1380-7.
- Rajkhowa R., Gil E.S., Kluge J.A., Numata K., Wang L., Wang X., Kaplan D.L.: Reinforcing silk scaffolds with silk particles. Macromolecular Bioscience, 10 (2010), 599-611.
- Lu S., Wang X., Lu Q., Zhang X., Kluge J.A., Uppal N., Omenetto F., Kaplan D.L.: Insoluble and flexible silk films containing glycerol. Biomacromolecules, 11 (2010), 143-150.
- Kluge J.A., Rosiello N.A., Leisk G.G., Kaplan D.L., Dorfmann A.: The Consolidation Behavior of Silk Hydrogels. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials, 3 (2010), 278-289.
- Etienne O., Schneider A., Kluge J.A., Bellemin-Laponnaz C., Polidori C., Leisk G.G., Kaplan D.L., Garlick J.A., Egles C.: Soft tissue augmentation using silk gels: an in vitro and in vivo study. Journal of Periodontology, 80 (2009),1852-1858.
- DesRochers D.W., Awerman J.M., Kluge J.A., Wilkinson J., Van Griethuijsen L., Aman, J., Romero L.M.: Exogenous and Endogenous Corticosterone alters feather quality. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology A-Molecular & Integrative Physiology, 152 (2009), 46-52.
- Kluge J.A., Rabotyagova O., Leisk G.G., Kaplan, D.L.: Spider silks and their applications. Trends in Biotechnology, 26 (2008), 244-251.
- Wang X., Kluge J.A., Leisk G.G., Kaplan D.L.: Sonication-induced gelation of silk fibroin for cell encapsulation. Biomaterials, 29 (2008), 1054-1064.
- Soffer L., Wang X., Zhang X., Kluge J.A., Dorfmann L., Kaplan D., Leisk G.: Silk-based electrospun tubular scaffolds for tissue-engineered vascular grafts. Journal of Biomaterials Science, 19 (2008), 653-664.
- Kluge J.A., Leisk G., and Kaplan, D. Mechanical determinants of tissue development, in Principles of Regenerative Medicine. Elsevier Academic Press, Boston, MA. (2008).
- Kluge J.A., Martin J.T., Nerurkar N.L., Amaniera F.A., Pampati R.A., Elliott D.M., Mauck R.L. Functional enhancement of disc-like angle-ply structures via dynamic culture. 57th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, Long Beach, CA, January 13 – 16, 2011 (submitted).
- Kluge J.A., Pampati R.A., Amaniera F.A., Shah R.P., Kaplan D.L., Mauck R. L. Versatile Nanofibrous Composites for Soft Tissue Repair via Silk Protein Incorporation. 57th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, Long Beach, CA, January 13 – 16, 2011 (submitted).
- Shaffer R., Kluge J.A., Dahlgren L., Kaplan D.L., Goldstein A. Mechanical loading of mesenchymal stem cells on electrospun scaffolds for ligament tissue engineering. 2010 BMES Annual Fall Meeting, Austin, TX, October 6-9, 2010 (submitted).
- Kluge J.A., Gil E.S., Kaplan D.L., Mauck R.L. Tunable degradation in protein/synthetic electrospun composites.2010 BMES Annual Fall Meeting, Austin, TX, October 6-9, 2010 (submitted).
- Kluge J.A., Pampati R.A., Amaniera F.A., Shah R.P., Kaplan D.L., Mauck R. L. Dynamic Silk-Based Composite Nanofibrous Scaffolds for Soft Tissue Repair. Musculoskeletal Biology and Bioengineering GRC, Andover, NH, August 1-6, 2010.
- Kluge J.A., Leisk G.G., Thurber A., Kaplan D.L., and Dorfmann A.L.: Mechanically-Induced Remodeling of Degradable Biomaterials. 16th US National Congress on Theoretical and Applied Mechanics (USNCTAM), University Park, PA, June 27 - July 2, 2010.
- Bhumiratana S., Grayson W.L., Castañeda A., Gil E.S., Rockwood D., Kluge J.A., Kaplan D.L., and Vunjak-Novakovic, G.: Enhancement of mechanical properties of silk scaffolds by reinforcement with silk micro particles. Transactions of the 56th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, New Orleans, LA, March 6-9, 2010.
- Kluge J.A., Rosiello N., Leisk G.G., Kaplan D.L., Dorfmann L.A.: Nonlinear poroelastic deformations of silk protein hydrogels. The Fourth Biot Conference on Poromechanics, Columbia University, New York, NY, June 8-10, 2009. Abstract available in print: Poromechanics IV: Proceedings of the Fourth BIOT Conference on Poromechanics. DEStech Publications, Inc., Lancaster, PA. (2009).
- Kluge J.A., Rosiello N., Leisk G.G., Kaplan D.L., Dorfmann L.A.: Silk hydrogel mechanics: nonlinear response based on protein concentration, 2008 BMES Annual Fall Meeting, St. Louis, MO, October 4-5, 2008.
- Kluge J.A., Fernandes A., Leisk G.G., Dorfmann L.A., Jaffe M., Kaplan D.L.: Composite matrix designs related to mechanical forces and tissue remodeling, 8th World Biomaterials Congress, Amsterdam, Netherlands, May 8-June 1, 2008.
- Oliveira A.L., Sun L., Kim H.J., Hu X., Rice W., Kluge J.A., Reis R.L., and Kaplan, D.L.: Designing Silk-Based 3D Architectures with Controlled Lamellar Morphology. Presented at the TERMIS EU 2008 Porto Meeting, Alfândega, Portugal, June 22-26, 2008. Abstract available in print: Tissue Engineering Part A, 14 (5) pp. 718-719, 2008.
- Chang G., Kluge J.A., Vunjak-Novakovic G., Kaplan D., and Kandel R.A.: Mechanical Stimulation Improves Annulus Fibrosus Tissue Formation and Organization on Fibrous Silk Scaffolds. Transactions of the 54th Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society, San Francisco, CA, March 2-5, 2008, 33:1487.