Benjamin FreedmanGraduate Student in Bioengineering
University of Pennsylvania
2011 National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship
B.S. Biomedical Engineering, 2011, University of Rochester
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTEREST
Tendon and bone biomechanics, imaging-based methods to study tendon healing, MRI, patellofemoral pain, osteoarthritis, wear debris induced periprosthetic osteolysis.
- Freedman BR, Brindle TJ, Sheehan FT. Re-evaluating the functional implications of the Q-angle and its relationship to in vivo patellofemoral kinematics. (in review)
- Schiavenato MS, Antos SA, Bell FA, Freedman BR, Kozak AJ, Kroot, TB, Lam EH, Ross, KE, Sternfield BA, Carney, LH. Development of a scale for estimating procedural distress in the newborn intensive care unit: The Procedural Load Index. Early Hum Dev., May 2013.
- Freedman BR, Sheehan FT. Predicting Three-dimensional Patellofemoral Kinematics from Static Imaging-Based Alignment Measures. J Orthop Res, October 2012.
- Sheehan FT, Freedman BR, Brindle TJ. Re-evaluating the functional implications of the Q-angle and its relationship to in vivo patellofemoral kinematics. International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Vancouver, Canada, 2013. (submitted)
- Riggin CN, Sarver JJ, Freedman BR, Thomas SJ, Soslowsky LJ. Analysis of collagen fiber organization in mouse Achilles tendon using high-frequency ultrasound imaging. ASME Summer Bioengineering Conference, Sun River, Oregon, 2013.
- Freedman BR, Sarver JJ, Voleti PB, Buckley MR, Soslowsky LJ. Injured Achilles tendon exhibits inferior mechanical and structural response during fatigue loading. Trans Orthop Res Soc, San Antonio, Texas, 38:0615. 2013.
- Ilkhani-Pour S, Voleti PB, Buckley MR, Freedman BR, Iozzo RV, Birk DE, Soslowsky LJ. Achilles Tendon Repair Response to Injury is Enhanced by the Absence of Decorin. Trans Orthop Res Soc, San Antonio, Texas, 38:0616. 2013.
- Freedman BR, Baig HA, Guarino BB, Winkelstein BA. Biomechanical Effects of Whole Body Vibration on Spinal Ligaments: A Potential Mechanism of Tissue Damage. Northeast Bioengineering Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 2012.
- Freedman BR, Sheehan FT. Reliability and Predictability of Static MR Joint Alignment Surrogates to Patellofemoral Kinematics. Orthopaedic Research Society Meeting, San Francisco, California, 2012.
- Freedman BR, Behnam AJ, Sheehan FT. Predicting Maltracking in Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome through Novel MR-based Joint Posture Measures. International Society of Biomechanics Congress, Brussels, Belgium 2011.
- Antos SA, Bell FA, Freedman BR, Kozak AJ, Kroot TB, Ross KE, Sternfield BA, Carney LH, Schiavenato MS. Defining and Measuring Procedure Load Index Values for Premature Infants. Biomedical Engineering Society, Pittsburgh Pennsylvania, 2009.
Ben joined the McKay Orthopaedic Research Laboratory in the fall of 2011 and is currently working towards the completion of his graduate studies in the Department of Bioengineering. In his spare time, Ben enjoys sailing, skiing, playing piano, and explaining tendon biomechanics to local Sherpa while climbing Mount Everest.