Michael W. Hast, Ph.D.Research Engineer
University of Pennsylvania
Ph.D. Mechanical Engineering, 2011, Pennsylvania State University
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, 2007, Pennsylvania State University
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, 2004, Pennsylvania State University
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTEREST
Biomechanics and Performance of Total Knee Replacements
Biomechanics of Tendon Healing
- Hast MW and Piazza SJ. Dual-Joint Modeling for Estimation of Total Knee Replacement Contact Forces During Locomotion, J Biomech Eng 135 (2013): 021004.
- Thompson JA, Hast MW, Granger JF, Piazza SJ, Siston RA. The Biomechanical Effects of Total Knee Arthroplasty Component Malrotation: A Computer Simulation. J Orthop Res 29.7 (2011):969-975.
- Landon RL, Hast MW, Piazza SJ. Robust Contact Modeling Using Trimmed NURBS Surfaces for Dynamic Simulations of Articular Contact. Comp Meth in App. Mech & Eng 198330 (2009):2339-2346.
- Hast MW: Assessment of Total Knee Replacement Performance Using Muscle-Driven Dynamic Simulations, Doctoral Dissertation in Mechanical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2011.
- Hast MW: Analysis of Total Knee Replacement Mechanics Using Dynamic Computer Simulations of Controlled Knee Flexions, Master's Thesis in Mechanical Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 2007.
- Hast MW, Piazza SJ. Dual-Joint Modeling for the Estimation of Total Knee Replacement Contact Forces During Locomotion, Nemacolin Woods, PA. June, 2011. Podium Presentation
- Hast MW, Piazza SJ. Position of the Quadriceps Muscle Actuator Influences Knee Loads During Simulated Squat Testing. American Society of Biomechanics, Providence, RI. August, 2010. Podium Presentation
- Hast MW, Walker CD, Piazza SJ. PCL Treatment Influences Sensitivity to Joint Line Changes in Total Knee Arthroplasty. Transactions of the American Society of Biomechanics, University Park, PA. August, 2009.
- Hast MW, Walker CD, Piazza SJ. Management of Flexion-Extension Gap Inequality in TKA: A Computer Simulation Study. Trans Orthop Res Soc 34:2091, 2009.
- Hast MW, Landon RL, Piazza SJ. Influence of Posterior Cruciate Ligament Treatment on Quadriceps Demand in TKR: A Computer Simulation Study. Transactions of the North American Congress of Biomechanics, Ann Arbor, MI. August 2008. Podium Presentation
- Hast MW, Landon RL, Piazza SJ. Influence of Loading on Knee Extensor Mechanics in Total Knee Replacement: A Computer Simulation Study. Transactions of the American Society of Biomechanics, Palo Alto, CA. August, 2007.
- First Place- American Society of Mechanical Engineers Grand Challenge to Predict In Vivo Knee Loads, 2011
- Second Place- Penn State Mechanical Engineering Department Senior Design Project Competition, 2004
Michael enjoys spending time with his wife, Alexandria, and yellow lab, Boca. In his free time, Michael enjoys running, cooking, camping, skiing, and watching football.