Penn Medicine Academic Computing Services provides support for Enterprise-grade Apple and Dell products through our network of distributed PMACS Support Providers (PSPs). PMACS strongly recommends replacing computers on a 4-year cycle.
This information can be used as a guideline for new purchases. Your PMACS Support Provider is also an invaluable resource for choosing the hardware and operating system that is best for you and should be included in this process. Our supported recommendations are closely aligned with the University recommendations. Your PMACS Support Provider can work with our approved vendors to find the proper hardware at appropriate price point.
|Recommended Minimum Configurations for New Desktop Systems|
|Hardware||Processor||Intel Core i5 (any)or Intel Core i7 (any)||Intel Core i5 (any) or Intel Core i7 (any)|
|Memory (RAM)||8.0 GB||500 GB|
|Hard Disk||8.0 GB||500 GB|
|Display & Graphics||19-inch or 20-inch LCD discrete video card or Intel integrated graphics (HD 3000 and above)||21.5-inch LCD discrete video card|
|Sound||Built-in audio & speaker||Built-in audio & speaker|
|Miscellaneous||DVD+R/CD-RW drive 80% efficient power supply hardware-based systems management||DVD+R/CD-RW drive 80% efficient power supply|
|Network Connection||10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet||10/100/1000BaseT Ethernet|
|Recommended Operating System||Windows 7 SP1||OS X Mountain Lion|
|Support Period||Until July, 2016||Until July, 2016|
PMACS recommends the following webcams:
- Windows OS: Logitech QuickCam Webcam Pro 9000, Microsoft Life cam vx–1000
- Mac OS: Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro 119, iSight built-in camera
PMACS specifically does not support the following:
- Windows Vista
- Windows 2000 or earlier
- Any consumer or Home versions of Windows OS
- Macintosh OS 9 or Classic
- Dell Inspirion Mini 9 Laptop
- MP3 Players
- Chat Clients (ICQ, AIM, etc.)
- Ethernet Hubs, splitters, or routers
- Consumer–based wireless
- University Supported Software
- Computer Connection, The University maintained computing store which offers academic discounts on common commercially available software packages.
- Site–licensed software, The Office of Software Licensing (OSL) negotiates and administers software site licenses and volume discount programs at Penn and distributes licenses and media for those programs. Departments, faculty, staff, and in some cases students can purchase this software at significant savings. Most licenses purchased through the OSL require departments to be responsible for an annual renewal fee.
- Microsoft Select Volume Licensing Program
- The University's Technology Training Services provides on and off campus training at discounted rates to members of the Penn Community. However, please keep in mind that software packages used in TTL training are not necessarily supported by PMACS. Please request support before signing up for any training or purchasing any software.
Penn Medicine Academic Computing Services offers support for the following mobile device platforms:
- Android 3.2 and above
- BlackBerry OS attached to Penn BES
For a specific mobile device recommendation please contact PMACS.