4 Spruce Inpatient Unit
4 Spruce is a 24-bed secure inpatient unit at Pennsylvania Hospital providing comprehensive, acute, short-term assessment and treatment for adult patients with a wide variety of psychiatric symptoms and conditions. The service works closely with many mental health and social service agencies and private providers to meet the medical and social support needs of patients returning to the community. The goal of treatment of 4 Spruce is to stabilize patients quickly and to reintegrate them into supportive outpatient communities.
Multidisciplinary Treatment Team
A treatment team consisting of psychiatrists, psychologists, nurses, social workers, and an occupational therapist cares for patients on 4 Spruce. The team works closely with each other, the patient and the patient’s external support system to develop a treatment plan that identifies problems, goals, and interventions to help the patient reach treatment goals. The treatment team meets daily to review each patient’s therapeutic progress.
The group program is designed to provide patients with education and skills allowing them to successfully manage their illness in the community. Some of the treatment groups offered are:
- Anger Management
- Art Therapy
- Illness Education
- Self-Care Therapy
- Coping Skills
- Exercise Groups
4 Spruce Visitor Information
- For the safety of our people receiving services, please check-in at the front desk and our staff will assist you.
- All bags and/or items brought in for people receiving services must be cleared and searched for safety by nursing staff before giving anything to anyone.
- Feel free to speak with the nursing staff in regards to any questions or concerns.
- Books, magazines, puzzles, journals (no spiral copybooks)
- Warm, comfortable clothes without strings
- Favorite food or drinks in sealed packages/bottles only (no highly caffeinated beverages, such as Red Bull or other caffeine specific drinks)
- Cigarettes - Must go directly to nursing staff on the floor.
- Potentially Sharp Objects, such as any Glass Items, Mirrors, Aluminum Cans, Tweezers, Razors, Knives or any kind of Weapons.
- Items such as Belts, Straps, Scarves, Ties or Shoe Laces.
- Products containing Alcohol, such as Hand Sanitizer, Mouthwash, Aftershave, Perfume or Lotion.
- Plastic Bags
- Any Medication or Illicit Drugs
- Computers, iPads, Cell Phones and any other Electrical Devices with Cords and/or Internet Access.
- Lighters and/or Matches
- Any liquids not in a sealed bottle
- Monday-Friday: 6:30pm-8pm
- Saturday, Sunday & Holidays: 1pm-3pm and 6:30pm-8pm
Front Desk Phone:215-829-3474