Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia
The newly-formed Education and Research Collaboration of the University of Pennsylvania Department of Psychiatry and the Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia aims to develop a variety of joint ventures focusing on public education programs, facilitation of research on psychotherapy outcomes, and psychotherapy training of medical, psychology, and social work students. The organization has the full institutional support of both constituent entities, and the steering committee has put the public education programs as the top priority in our first year.
Freud, Franklin and Beyond: A Contemporary Interdisciplinary Forum on Psychology and Society
A major collaborative initiative is the creation of public education series sponsored by the University of Pennsylvania Department of Psychiatry and the Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia. These educational programs are focused on interdisciplinary exploration of topics related to psychology and society. The target audience is the University community, professional and academics in Philadelphia, and interested policy makers throughout the region. The goal of these seminars is to create and disseminate new knowledge and new ideas about the relationship of psychology and society through interdisciplinary discussion in the public setting.
Major funding for the Freud, Frankin and Beyond Seminar Series has been provided by the Thomas Scattergood Behavioral Health Foundation and the Philadelphia Psychoanalytic Foundation.
Click on a link below for information and videos of recent seminars:
- Privacy? Sensation!: A Panel on Celebrity Patients and Psychoanalysis (1/19/11)
- The Wolf Man Paints! (11/18/10)
- The Wise Child: Children's Literature and Psychoanalysis (10/2/10)
- Crash: Conflict, Character and Culture (4/5/10)
- The Nature of Human Nature (3/24/10)
- A Better You, A Different You, or Not You?: The Dilemmas of Cognitive Enhancement Medications (10/29/09)
- Crisis in Confidence: The Recession and the Economy of Fear (04/06/09)
- Women Who Rule (10/15/08)
- Anti-Semitism in the Freud Case Histories (09/24/08)
- The Return of the Soldier (04/10/08)
- Privacy Matters: Disclosure and its Discontents (02/07/08)
- The End: Closure in Literature and Psychoanalysis (11/14/07)
- The Incest Taboo: Current Anthropological and Psychoanalytic Views (09/19/07)
- Closing Borders, Open Questions: Taking the Immigration Debate Beyond Politics (04/05/07)
- Why Curse? Why Not? (02/01/07)
- The Vulcanization of the Human Mind: Neuroimaging, Decision-Making, and Violence (12/13/06)
- A City in Crisis: The Rise of Violence in Philadelphia (10/19/06)
Please call 215-746-7248 for additional information about the seminars.
Click here for more information about the Psychoanalytic Center of Philadelphia (off-site).
Back to Top