Department of Psychiatry

Penn Behavioral Health


How do I apply to your program?

All medical school graduates should apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) at

A completed application consists of:

  • ERAS online application
  • Dean’s Letter & Transcript
  • Personal Statement
  • 3 Letters of Recommendation
  • USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 (or COMLEX) is needed prior to residency start date of June 20th
  • Photo
  • ECFMG certification if applicable


When are your interview dates?

We interview on Fridays only.  This year our dates are:

October 21, 2016

November 4, 2016

November 18, 2016

December 2, 2016

December 16, 2016

January 6, 2017

January 20, 2017

January 27, 2017







My application is complete but I have not heard from your program?

Interviews are by invitation only and will be sent via ERAS.  We receive over 1,000 applications for 10 positions and we can only offer a limited number of interviews.  We are seeking highly competitive candidates with outstanding academics, diverse backgrounds and interests.  Ideal candidates should be team players as well as self-starters and highly motivated to excel.  


How do I communicate with your program?

All communication will be via ERAS email.  If you send an email directly to the coordinator’s email you will not receive a response.  Please use ERAS to contact the program with any questions and/or scheduling arrangements.


How long is your interview day?

We provide a comprehensive interview day which begins at 8:00am and concludes around 4:00pm.  Your day will consist of meeting the program directors, an overview of the program, lunch with the residents, a tour of the campus and clinical sites, four half-hour interviews with faculty and a dinner the evening prior with residents only.


I have a strong interest in pursuing research during my clinical training. Do I need to apply for the Research Track at the time of my ERAS application?

You do not have to apply for the Research Track at the time of your application.  You should inform the program director that you are interested in applying to the Research Track during your residency.  Formal applications are submitted during your PGY 1 year will begin in your PGYII year.


I am an international medical graduate. Do you accept the J1 or H1B visa and do you have any specific criteria for IMGs?

Yes, we accept both the J1 and H1B visas.  They are sponsored by the Department of Psychiatry and processed via the University of Pennsylvania International Student and Scholar Services.

Yes, you must have graduated medical school within the past five years, have ECFMG certification, and six weeks of clinical experience in a U.S. medical system.  This does not include observerships.  You must be proficient in reading, writing and spoken English.


Back to Top