CEPH requires that all MPH students in its accredited programs demonstrate the application of basic public health concepts through a practice experience that is relevant to the student's area of specialization. Thus, the goal of Penn's Required Fieldwork Experience (RFE) is for a student to gain real-world PH experience while building PH skills and competencies through engagement in meaningful PH activities.
- For more information, see our Fieldwork FAQ.
- Thinking of working aborad? Remember to register with the Penn Global Activities Registry.
Available Fieldwork Opportunities
We maintain a list of current opportunities on the MPH Student Home Base on Canvas.
Past Fieldwork Experiences
Curious about the kinds of fieldwork experiences former students have had? Recently, our students:
- Developed recommendations to present to a Healthy Philadelphia workgroup around improved efforts towards patient transitions from hospital to community health center
- Explored establishing a Philadelphia Chapter of Bright Pink.
- Contributed to a data project comparing Maternity Care Coalition teen and adult client health needs so as to make programming recommendations.
- Acted as the liaison for the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Refugee Clinic, which is conducted in partnership with the Philadelphia refugee health collaborative.
- Analyzed existing domestic violence prevention programs (and related metrics used) in the Latina community while working with Congreso de Latino Unidos.
- Worked on research team in Arequipa Peru focused on preliminary studies to increase update of Oral Rehydration Therapy (ORT) through a behavioral economic-mHealth intervention.
- Surveyed USAID funded non-governmental organizations, while interning at Marie Stopes International around barriers to implementing the Leahy Amendment on safe abortion counseling.
- Served as the Director of Athletics for the Agatston Urban Nutrition Initiative and while doing so, integrated physical activity into Netter Center afterschool programs in West Philadelphia.
- Researched the efficacy of vaccine policies and programs for Campus Health Initiatives at the University of Pennsylvania.