The next application cycle is open now. Your application must be completed online via SOPHAS.
SOPHAS is the common application system for many schools and programs of public health. They offer resources to help you navigate the application system. Their FAQ page will address many questions you may have.
Applicants to the MPH program must submit the following documentation directly to SOPHAS:
- Completed application via SOPHAS Note: All tracks are evaluated with the same criteria. Please apply under one track only. Should you matriculate into the program, you will have the flexibilty to finalize your track at a later time.
- Recent (within the past 5 years) scores on one of the following standardized tests.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE -- note, the GRE code for SOPHAS is 0152)
- Medical College Admissions Tests (MCAT)
- Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT)
- Law School Admissions Test (LSAT)
- Dental School Admissions Test (DSAT)
Note: Consideration will be given to waiving the standardized test requirement for applicants with at least a master’s degree in a relevant field, that was received from an institution within the United States. When standardized test scores are waived, evidence of quantitative ability will be evaluated based on grades earned in graduate-level quantitative and science courses. Official standardized test scores are required for applicants: 1) who do not have a masters degree or higher; 2) whose advanced degree was conferred by an institution outside the U.S.; 3)who are currently enrolled in a graduate degree program but do not yet have a master's or higher degree.
- English Language Proficiency (e.g. TOEFL score or degree from an English-language institution) for applicants whose first language is not English
- Official transcripts of previously completed undergraduate and graduate course work. International applicants must use WES ICAP service to submit transcripts. WES ICAP is found here.
- Up-to-date resume or curriculum vitae
- Three recommendations from individuals who can attest to suitability for graduate study and to interest in public health. Note: These individuals will receive a request from SOPHAS to submit their recommendation.
- A personal statement addressing why the applicant believes the University of Pennsylvania's Master of Public Health Program is the right program to enable the applicant to meet her/his goals. This statement (short essay) should demonstrate an understanding of public health and explain the nature of the applicant's interest in public health studies, the perceived advantages of public health studies from an overall personal career perspective, and the specific plan of study proposed (e.g. types of electives envisioned; timeframe for completion of program).
- Application fee (submitted online - see the SOPHAS FAQ for fee chart). Note: This fee is charged by SOPHAS, not the University of Pennsylvania.
Evidence of sufficient work or volunteer experience related to public health (e.g., two years or more of post baccalaureate experience in a health-related field) is preferred, however, recent graduates from undergraduate programs will be considered.
For all questions related to admissions, please contact: Moriah Hall, MPH Program Coordinator email@example.com