Penn CRS members have developed a crowd sourcing, social media, mobile media fun contest to find AEDs (automated external defibrillator) and raise awareness.
This project is a community improvement initiative and part of a research study being conducted at the University of Pennsylvania. Join this initiative for a chance to win monetary prizes and to help save lives! Visit our website today at www.myheartmap.org.
Description of Research Expertise
Dr. Merchant's research is focused on resuscitation science and improving outcomes from cardiac arrest. Specifically she studies 1) diffusion of innovation and new media in resuscitation and 2) translation of research to policy.
In the in-patient setting, she is studying best practices for improving in-hospital cardiac arrest care. In the pre-hospital setting-she is identifying communities at risk for cardiac arrest and evaluating unique strategies for optimizing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) training and automated external defibrillator AED availability. In this context, she is the Director of the MyHeartMap Challenge- a social media, mobile media, and crowd sourcing project aimed at improving AED access and awareness.
Keywords: social media, crowd sourcing, public health, health services research, cardiovascular outcomes, AEDs, health policy
- Merchant RM, Soar J, Skrifvars MB, Silfvast T, Ahmed F, Huang K, Khan M, Vanden Hoek TL, Becker LB, Abella MS. Therapeutic Hypothermia utilization among physicians: prevalence and reasons for non-use. Crit Care Med. 2006 Jul;34(7):1935-40.
- Edelson DP, Abella BS, Kramer-Johansen J, Wik L, Myklebust H, Barry AM, Merchant RM, Hoek TL, Steen PA, Becker LB.Effects of compression depth and pre-shock pauses predict defibrillation failure during cardiac arrest.Resuscitation. 2006 Nov;71(2):137-45.
- Abella BS, Kim S, Edelson DP, Huang KN, Merchant RM, Myklebust H, Vanden Hoek TL, Becker LB. Difficulty of cardiac arrest rhythm identification does not correlate with length of chest compression pause before defibrillation. Crit Care Med. 2006 Dec;34(12 Suppl):S427-31.
- Merchant RM, Abella BS, Peberdy MA, Soar J, Ong ME, Schmidt GA, Becker LB, Vanden Hoek TL. Therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrest: unintentional overcooling is common using ice packs and conventional cooling blankets. Crit Care Med. 2006 Dec;34(12 Suppl):S490-4.
- Merchant RM, Rubright JD, Pryor JP, Karlawish JHT. Who Can Speak for the Emergently Ill? Testing a Method to Identify Communities and Their Leaders. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2008 Jun;15(6):581-583.
- Carr BC, Goya, M, Band RA, Gaieski DF, Abella BS, Merchant RM, Branas CC, Becker LB, Neumar RW. A national analysis of the relationship between hospital factors and post-cardiac arrest mortality. Intensive Care Med. 2008 Oct 21
- Neumar RW, Nolan JP, Adrie C, Aibiki M, Berg RA, Böttiger BW, Callaway C, Clark RS, Geocadin RG, Jauch EC, Kern KB, Laurent I, Longstreth WT Jr, Merchant RM, Morley P, Morrison LJ, Nadkarni V, Peberdy MA, Rivers EP, Rodriguez-Nunez A, Sellke FW, Spaulding C, Sunde K, Vanden Hoek T.Post-cardiac arrest syndrome: epidemiology, pathophysiology, treatment, and prognostication. Circulation. 2008 Dec 2;118(23):2452-83
- Nolan JP, Neumar RW, Adrie C, Aibiki M, Berg RA, Böttiger BW, Callaway C, Clark RS, Geocadin RG, Jauch EC, Kern KB, Laurent I, Longstreth WT, Merchant RM, Morley P, Morrison LJ, Nadkarni V, Peberdy MA, Rivers EP, Rodriguez-Nunez A, Sellke FW, Spaulding C, Sunde K, Hoek TV. Post-cardiac arrest syndrome: epidemiology, pathophysiology, treatment, and prognostication. A Scientific Statement from the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation; the American Heart Association Emergency Cardiovascular Care Committee; the Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia; the Council on Cardiopulmonary, Perioperative, and Critical Care; the Council on Clinical Cardiology; the Council on Stroke. Resuscitation. 2008 Dec;79(3):350-79.
- Merchant RM, Abella BS, Khan M, Huang K, Beiser DB, Neumar RW, Carr BG, Becker LB, Vanden Hoek TL. Cardiac catheterization is underutilized after in-hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2008 Dec;79(3):398-403.
- Carr BC, Kahn J, Merchant RM, Kramer AA, Neumar RW. Inter-hospital variability in post-cardiac arrest mortality. Resuscitation. 2009 Jan;80(1):30-34
- Nolan JP, Neumar RW, Adrie C, Aibiki M, Berg RA, Böttiger BW, Callaway C, Clark RS, Geocadin RG, Jauch EC, Kern KB, Laurent I, Longstreth WT, Merchant RM, Morley P, Morrison LJ, Nadkarni V, Peberdy MA, Rivers EP, Rodriguez-Nunez A, Sellke FW, Spaulding C, Sunde K, Hoek TV. Post-cardiac arrest syndrome: Epidemiology, pathophysiology, treatment, and prognostication: A scientific statement from the International Liaison Committee on Resuscitation; the American Heart Association Emergency Cardiovascular Care Committee; the Council on Cardiovascular Surgery and Anesthesia; the Council on Cardiopulmonary, Perioperative, and Critical Care; the Council on Clinical Cardiology; the Council on Stroke (Part 1). Int Emerg Nurs. 2009 Oct;17(4):203-25.
- Gaieski DF, Band RA, Abella BS, Neumar RW, Fuchs BD, Kolansky DM, Merchant RM, Carr BG, Becker LB, Maguire C, Klair A, Hylton J, Goyal M. Early goal-directed hemodynamic optimization combined with therapeutic hypothermia in comatose survivors of out-of-hospital cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2009 Apr;80(4):418-24.
- Merchant RM, Becker LB, Abella BS, Asch DA, Groeneveld PW. Cost-effectiveness of therapeutic hypothermia after cardiac arrest. Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes. 2009 Sep; 2:421-428
- Han F, Boller M, Guo W, Merchant RM, Lampe JW, Smith TM, Becker LB. A rodent model of emergency cardiopulmonary bypass resuscitation with different temperatures after asphyxial cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2009 Jan:81(1):93-9
- Merchant RM, Abella BS, Abotsi EJ, Smith TM, Long JA, Trudeau ME, Leary M, Groeneveld PW, Becker LB, Asch DA. Cell phone cardiopulmonary resuscitation: audio instructions when needed by lay rescuers: a randomized, controlled trial. Ann Emerg Med 2010 Jun:55(6):538-543
- Lau B, Kirkpatrick JN, Merchant RM, Perman SM, Abella BS, Gaieski DF, Becker LB, Chiames C, Reitsma AM. Experiences of sudden cardiac arrest survivors regarding prognostication and advance care planning. Resuscitation. 2010 Aug;81(8):982-6
- Merchant RM, Leigh JE, Lurie N. Health care volunteers and disaster response- first, be prepared. The New England Journal of Medicine 2010 Mar 11;362 (10):872-3
- Leary M, Fried DA, Gaieski DF, Merchant RM, Fuchs BD, Kolansky DM, Edelson DP, Abella BS. Neurologic prognostication and bispectral index monitoring after resuscitation from cardiac arrest. Resuscitation. 2010 Sep; 81(9):1133-7
- Peberdy MA, Callaway CW, Neumar RW, Geocadin RG, Zimmerman JL, Donnino M, Gabrielli A, Silvers SM, Zaritsky AL, Merchant RM, Vanden Hoek TL, Kronick SL. Part 9: post-cardiac arrest care: 2010 American Heart Association Guidelines for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care. Circulation. 2010 Nov 2;122(18 Suppl 3):S768-86.
- Merchant RM, Becker LB, Yang F, Groeneveld PW. Hospital racial composition: a neglected factor in cardiac arrest survival disparities. Am Heart J. 2011 Apr;161(4):705-11
- Merchant RM, Yang L, Becker LB, Berg RA, Nadkarni V, Nichol G, Carr BG, Mitra N, Bradley SM, Abella BS, Groeneveld PW. Incidence of treated cardiac arrest in hospitalized patients in the United States. Crit Care Med. 2011 Nov;39(11):2401-2406.
- Merchant RM, Yang L, Becker LB, Berg RA, Nadkarni V, Nichol G, Carr BG, Mitra N, Bradley SM, Abella BS, Groeneveld PW. Variability in case-mix adjusted in-hospital cardiac arrest rates. Medical Care. 2012 50(2):124-130.
- Perman SM, Kirkpatrick JN, Reitsma AM, Gaieski DF, Lau B, Smith T, Leary M, Fuchs BD, Levine JM, Abella BS, Becker LB, Merchant RM. Timing of prognostication in post-arrest therapeutic hypothermia. Crit Care Med. 2012 Mar;40(3):719-24.
- Becker LB, Aufderheide TP, Geocadin RG, Callaway CW, Lazar RM, Donnino M, Nadkarni VM, Abella BS, Adrie C, Berg RA, Merchant RM, O'Connor RE, Meltzer DO, Holm MB, Longstreth WT, Halperin HR. Primary outcomes for resuscitation science studies: a consensus statement from the American Heart Association.. Circulation. 2011 Nov 8;124(19):2158-77.
- Merchant RM, Elmer S, Lurie N. Integrating Social Media into Emergency-Preparedness Efforts. The New England Journal of Medicine, 2011 July 365:4, 289-291.
- Merchant RM, Asch DA. Can you find an AED if a life depends on it? Circulation: Cardiovascular Quality and Outcomes, 2012 Mar 1;5(2):241-3.
- Bradley SM, Huszti E, Warren SA, Merchant RM, Sayre MR, Nichol G. Duration of Hospital Participation in Get With the Guidelines-Resuscitation and Survival of In-Hospital Cardiac Arrest. Resuscitation. 2012 Mar 16. [Epub ahead of print]
- Rubinson L, Mutter R, Viboud C, Hupert N, Uyeki T, Creanga A, Finelli L, Twashyna, Carr B, Merchant RM, Katikineni D, Vaughn F, Clancy C, Lurie N. Impact of the Fall 2009 Influenza A (H1N1) pdm09 Pandemic on U.S. Hospitals. (accepted Medical Care Oct 2012)
- Bosley JC, Zhao NW, Hill S , Shofer FS, Asch DA, Becker LB, Merchant RM Decoding Twitter: Surveillance and Trends for Cardiac Arrest and Resuscitation Communication. Resuscitation 2012. Oct 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Leung AC, Asch DA, Lozada KN, Saynisch O, Asch JM, Becker N, Griffis HM, Shofer F, Hershey JC, Hill S, Branas CC, Nichol G, Becker LB, Merchant RM. Where are lifesaving automated external defibrillators located and how hard is it to find them in a large urban city? (accepted Resuscitation January 2013)
Raina Merchant, MD MSHP
Director of Social Media and Innovation
University of Pennsylvania Health System
Department of Emergency Medicine
Perelman School of Medicine Fellow
Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics
423 Guardian Drive, Blockley Hall
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Project Director MyHeartMap Challenge
Visit our site at www.med.upenn.edu/myheartmap